From: Eric Sammer <esammer@g.o>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] a few different questions
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 18:42:03
1 Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 03 February 2004 05:13, Eric Sammer wrote:
3 >
4 > One could offer an option to force the actions to be done. It would be
5 > needed when users perform manual actions (but not in all cases). Of
6 > course forcing actions will disable the back button so probably warrants
7 > a warning.
8
9 This is true and could be done. Again, in the interest of a working
10 prototype in a reasonable amount of time, I would say we'll come back to
11 this as adding it at a later date will be trivial.
12
13 > It is the task of the frontend to either save up the actions or to send
14 > them to the backend immediately.
15
16 Actually, settings are stuffed into GLIInstallProfile by the controller
17 (part of the back end). The profile (data) and arch template (logic) are
18 then put together in a similar fashion as XML and XSL are combined (in
19 theory, not implementation). Of course, this will probably have to
20 perform differently when doing immediate fire actions, but is another
21 reason why I'd like to get things working before we do things like that.
22
23 > As long as the backend can perform
24 > actions as soon as they are received (incomplete xml file) the backend
25 > can handle whatever you want.
26
27 Again, messaging is not done as XML, only state is saved that way. This
28 means that the firing of actions will probably be done by the controller
29 calling the logic from the arch templates immediately. This is more of
30 an implementation issue but is something that will be kept in mind.
33 Eric Sammer
34 Gentoo Linux
35 http://www.gentoo.org