From: Eric Sammer <esammer@g.o>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] a few different questions
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 18:42:03
Paul de Vrieze wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 February 2004 05:13, Eric Sammer wrote: > > One could offer an option to force the actions to be done. It would be > needed when users perform manual actions (but not in all cases). Of > course forcing actions will disable the back button so probably warrants > a warning.
This is true and could be done. Again, in the interest of a working prototype in a reasonable amount of time, I would say we'll come back to this as adding it at a later date will be trivial.
> It is the task of the frontend to either save up the actions or to send > them to the backend immediately.
Actually, settings are stuffed into GLIInstallProfile by the controller (part of the back end). The profile (data) and arch template (logic) are then put together in a similar fashion as XML and XSL are combined (in theory, not implementation). Of course, this will probably have to perform differently when doing immediate fire actions, but is another reason why I'd like to get things working before we do things like that.
> As long as the backend can perform > actions as soon as they are received (incomplete xml file) the backend > can handle whatever you want.
Again, messaging is not done as XML, only state is saved that way. This means that the firing of actions will probably be done by the controller calling the logic from the arch templates immediately. This is more of an implementation issue but is something that will be kept in mind. -- Eric Sammer Gentoo Linux