From: Christopher Hotchkiss <christopher.hotchkiss@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] GLI Missed set locale for non-English spoken users
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 14:36:49
1 On 4/26/05, Jackey Yang <jackey.yang@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi Guys,
4 > Introduce myself first, I am a core developer of Magic Linux (Chinese
5 > Linux
6 > Distribution). I use Gentoo all the time myself and enjoy it.
7
8 Well welcome to the project. Just for your information if you want to get a
9 hold of the developers quickly, it is best to use irc, server
10 irc.freenode.net <http://irc.freenode.net> on channel #gentoo-installer.
11
12 1. GLI seems missing a step to set locale and XIM input method, which is
13 > very
14 > important for non-English spoken people. Sure, you can set it yourself
15 > like
16 > what I did. But for GLI, is that suppose to be taken care automatically?
17
18 The GLI is designed to have a frontend and a backend. Right now the only
19 frontends we have written are done by english speaking developers. As such,
20 to be honest there hasn't been much work done in the realm of translations.
21 However before GLI is released to users, those layers will be added.
22
23 2. Reiserfs ans XFT support. We developed our own installer called Magic
24 > Installer(very close to GLI), which support Reiserfs (even Reiserfs4) and
25 > XFT
26 > for partition. Since I haven't spend much time on GLI, i would like to try
28 > solve this problem for GLI in the future.
31 We will welcome all the code contributions. For the partitioning code, be
32 sure to talk with the developers on irc concerning that. It has gone through
33 quite a few revisions recently.
34
35 3. Can GLI build an ISO (CD/DVD) automatically? MI use "scons" to do that.
38 That is not the focus of the GLI project. Our job is to build the
39 installer. Release engineering builds the livecds. However if you wish to
40 build Gentoo Livecds, I would look into catalyst.
41 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/catalyst/
45 Christopher Hotchkiss "chotchki"
46 (813)960-9273
47 http://www.post227.org