From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] Gentoo installer vs current installation method, what about later?
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 21:23:34
On Wed, 2005-10-19 at 16:51 -0400, Michael Crute wrote:
> Yeah... good point... downloading 6GB of isos is for Fedora weenies. > Guess I have kinda grown to taking that small minimal cd download size > for granted. My next question would be then, why change anything on > the minimal cd? Why mess with perfection; or are we going for the > smallest iso of any distro out there? ;-)
Well, I plan on making a few changes on it. For one, I'm switching it to being built with uclibc. It won't mean any real changes to functionality, just the CD will be smaller. There's a couple drivers that we've been adding that are really messed up and require a ton of work to get going. Those I will be removing. About the only thing "non-essential" that I'm leaving on the CD is screen. I'm shooting to have the CD down to <32MB, but if I can't reach that goal, then I won't remove anything that isn't broken. Basically, if I can get it to 32MB removing only problematic stuff, then I'll do it. Otherwise, it'll just be a uclibc version of what we have now. -- Chris Gianelloni Release Engineering - Strategic Lead x86 Architecture Team Games - Developer Gentoo Linux