From: Eric Sammer <esammer@g.o>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-installer] Updates and meeting
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2004 19:14:57
1 All:
2
3 For those that have been lurking around the #gentoo-installer channel,
4 you may have noticed a recent surge in activity. No, I'm serious. Really.
5
6 SM[1] has picked up the controller code and run with it. He's made some
7 impressive progress, solidifying many of the ideas that we've received.
8
9 Additionally, two people, independent of each other, have come up with
10 working front ends using the controller code. Now, the really cool thing
11 is that both PC[2] and SM have built *working* front ends (of course,
12 super-mega-supreme-alpha status and more of a proof of concept than a
13 final product) that perform at least a simplistic install. The really
14 cool thing is that this shows how developers can take advantage of the
15 design of the code base to do things the way they want. This will allow
16 for many different kinds of clients - automated, GUI, command line,
17 curses, text - whatever you fancy. A huge thumbs up to these two guys
18 who have put in some awesome effort.
19
20 There have been numerous refinements to other parts of the code
21 including the client configuration, install profile class as well as the
22 profiles themselves, and the controller described above.
23
24 Work and discussion continues on the partitioning code. This is going to
25 be the death of us. Seriously.
26
27 Coordination with the Gentoo Release Engineering team has begun. The
28 friendly RelEng folks reached out a helpful hand to us and offered to
29 provide assistance with integrating with the livecds as well as planning
30 for an initial release date. That's right, I said it: *A RELEASE DATE!*
31 A (currently still) tentative date of the 2005.0 release of Gentoo has
32 been set for the installer. Read it and weep (for joy or pain, you decide).
33
34 The previously mentioned developer PC has been providing bug fixes,
35 suggestions, and improvements to the project as a whole. He's a great
36 addition to our little community. Stay tuned for another announcement
37 regarding this chap in the near future. (Hint hint, nudge, nudge.)
38
39 We are going to have another "live" meeting in #gentoo-installer
40 (freenode) where we will go over status in real time, talk about the
41 release date, goals, contributions, and coordination with the releng
42 team as well as live cd requirements for the "official" client front end.
43
44 As always, feedback, comments, constructive criticism, patches, bug
45 fixes, documentation authoring, and support are all welcome both on this
46 list and the channel. Speak now or forever hold your potentially good
47 ideas for improvements!
48
49 [1] Scott Myron - samyron on freenode.
50 [2] Preston Cody - codeman on freenode.
51 --
52 E. Sammer
53 esammer@g.o
54 Gentoo Linux - http://www.gentoo.org