From: Eric Sammer <esammer@g.o>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-installer] Status update
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 02:19:10
1 All:
2
3 I believe Donnie (spyderous) forwarded an email from me to this list
4 about my laptop hard drive "issues" a few days ago. This has hindered
5 much of my ability to communicate with the other devs or code in any
6 meaningful fashion, as of late. It would seems as if I'm going to have
7 to crawl all over HP to get them to do anything, so it will be some time
8 before I'm 100% back in the game.
9
10 Current activity on the installer is a little thin. For those that do
11 not know, we have only 2 primary coders other than myself - Nathaniel
12 McCallum and Scott Myron. Nathaniel has recently been cramming with
13 school work and starting a new job (congrats again, btw). Scott has also
14 been tied up with university work. Some of our other regular
15 contributors like Corey Shields are very likely waiting for the rest of
16 us to get our stuff together. ;)
17
18 Last we left off, the partitioning code was giving Nathaniel a headache.
19 Since we're still way-super-pre-alpha, we decided to TEMPORARILY forgo
20 some of the arch compatibility and abstraction code. This should help us
21 to get a functioning model out the door sooner and garner interest from
22 other devs to lend a (coding) hand.
23
24 Scott has been rounding out some of the exist configuration code, xml
25 parsing, deployment ideas, and utility methods.
26
27 I finished a working object notification system that should allow a
28 network of objects to register to be "observers" of events of interest.
29 Work on a "distributed" version of the notification center which will
30 allow processes to communication across a network has started, but was
31 halted due to HP's fabulous ventilation design of the Pavilion notebooks. :P
32
33 A number of people have expressed interested in either contributing a
34 bit of code or becoming full on Gentoo devs to work on the installer.
35 This is a good thing. We are interested in bringing on new devs to work
36 on this project, but I just haven't gotten a chance to speak to any of
37 them yet (you know who you are - I haven't forgotten you!).
38
39 I was in the process of putting together a completed TODO list and
40 status with a time line, but that's all gone now (::waves to HP::). Like
41 an idiot, I hadn't backed up recently so I have no one to blame but
42 myself (::glares at HP anyway::). I will put these documents back
43 together as soon as possible and I apologize for the delay.
44
45 I invite questions, contributions, flames, and other such things, as
46 always. Feel free to email me or catch me on IRC (I'm trying to remain
47 available but it's not easy) if you want to chat. I ask that everyone be
48 patient, though; I'm quite busy at work and down my main box.
49
50 All the best to those in Gentoo installer land.
51 --
52 Eric Sammer
53 Gentoo Linux
54 http://www.gentoo.org