From: Eric Sammer <esammer@g.o>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-installer] Status update
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 02:19:10
All:

I believe Donnie (spyderous) forwarded an email from me to this list
about my laptop hard drive "issues" a few days ago. This has hindered
much of my ability to communicate with the other devs or code in any
meaningful fashion, as of late. It would seems as if I'm going to have
to crawl all over HP to get them to do anything, so it will be some time
before I'm 100% back in the game.

Current activity on the installer is a little thin. For those that do
not know, we have only 2 primary coders other than myself - Nathaniel
McCallum and Scott Myron. Nathaniel has recently been cramming with
school work and starting a new job (congrats again, btw). Scott has also
been tied up with university work. Some of our other regular
contributors like Corey Shields are very likely waiting for the rest of
us to get our stuff together. ;)

Last we left off, the partitioning code was giving Nathaniel a headache.
Since we're still way-super-pre-alpha, we decided to TEMPORARILY forgo
some of the arch compatibility and abstraction code. This should help us
to get a functioning model out the door sooner and garner interest from
other devs to lend a (coding) hand.

Scott has been rounding out some of the exist configuration code, xml
parsing, deployment ideas, and utility methods.

I finished a working object notification system that should allow a
network of objects to register to be "observers" of events of interest.
Work on a "distributed" version of the notification center which will
allow processes to communication across a network has started, but was
halted due to HP's fabulous ventilation design of the Pavilion notebooks. :P

A number of people have expressed interested in either contributing a
bit of code or becoming full on Gentoo devs to work on the installer.
This is a good thing. We are interested in bringing on new devs to work
on this project, but I just haven't gotten a chance to speak to any of
them yet (you know who you are - I haven't forgotten you!).

I was in the process of putting together a completed TODO list and
status with a time line, but that's all gone now (::waves to HP::). Like
an idiot, I hadn't backed up recently so I have no one to blame but
myself (::glares at HP anyway::). I will put these documents back
together as soon as possible and I apologize for the delay.

I invite questions, contributions, flames, and other such things, as
always. Feel free to email me or catch me on IRC (I'm trying to remain
available but it's not easy) if you want to chat. I ask that everyone be
patient, though; I'm quite busy at work and down my main box.

All the best to those in Gentoo installer land.
--
Eric Sammer
Gentoo Linux