From: Eric Sammer <esammer@g.o>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-installer] Status update
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 21:44:43
Here's a quick status update on where we're at with the installer project...

- Project pages are up and full of neat things to read including
specifications and diagrams.

- Initial CVS repository is set up and some code has been checked in.
(For those with Gentoo cvs access, it's under /gentoo/src/installer).
Everyone can view the repository at

- Coding guidelines have been established by those working on the
prototype. When I get a chance, I will be formally writing them up, so
when new developers join the project they can acclimate with greater ease.

- The installation profile class has been mostly fleshed out. (This is
the class that contains all user selections and installation options,
give or take.). This is a relatively simple class, but important none
the less. It parses from an XML file already so one half of "profile
saving and storage for repeat installs" is done.

- Discussion on the controller and architecture specific implementation
code has begun. Code should begin soon as well.

That's about what I can think of off the top of my head. If anyone has
questions about specific items, feel free to ask here so everyone else
can see as well.

Eric Sammer
Gentoo Linux

Subject Author