From: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] a few different questions
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 14:04:36
Have you read the requirements doc that esammer put together?  It answers
many/most of your questions.

On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 07:16:27AM -0600 or thereabouts, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
> 1. I've heard that the core installer will be written in Python. Is this > true?
That's the current plan, yes.
> 2. Whether Python or not, will real-time frontends have to be written the > same language as the core installer,
> 3. Will the core installer have plugin capabilities (e.g. user-created > configuration/installation steps), either scripted (bash) or coded (Python > or whatever)?
Not sure, but I don't think it's currently planned to have a plugin interface for the back end.
> 4. Which existing installer will the new code be based from or will this be > done completely from scratch possibly using existing concepts?
from scratch.
> 5. Are there any plans to include X along with Qt, GTK, Tcl/Tk, etc. on the > LiveCD to allow for the creation of GUI installer frontends?
haven't got that far yet.
> 6. What is already done? What needs to be done? What is still up in the air?
See the docs.
> 7. How can I help? I don't know Python, but I have pretty decent bash - > only since working on GLIS frontend ;) - and Perl skills. I don't know any > Python, but I can always learn.
See the docs.
> 8. Anything else important that I might have missed?
Yes. See the docs. ;) --kurt

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-installer] a few different questions Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@×××××××××××.com>