From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] Gentoo installer vs current installation method, what about later?
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 20:27:01
On Thu, 2005-10-20 at 16:12 -0400, Michael Crute wrote:
> On 10/20/05, Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote: > On Fri, 2005-10-21 at 02:28 +0800, John Walsh wrote: > > Ok, but will the CD still ahve everything it had before, or > will you be removing stuff to make > > room for X and all of that? If so, as I suspect, what will > be taken out? Is there a place where > > people can look at what will be removed and maybe vote on > what needs to stay? > > Nothing is taken out. The Universal CD is just the Minimal > CD, as far > as functionality is concerned. This will be a more functional > CD. As > for voting, this isn't Survivor. You don't get to vote anyone > off the > island. > > Aww... come on... I wanna vote somebody off the island. > > Anyhow I think the minimal and the installer cd are the way to go. > Perhaps if you just also release the source files you use to build the > iso (I don't know what this would be, perhaps the catalyst file?) then > people who desperately want to put together a KDE livecd or something > like that could do it themselves.
Currently, much of the ISO generation is done manually. As for what is done upto livecd-stage1, I have actually said many times how to accomplish this. Take every package from the published "packagecd.spec" for x86, add them to the end of "livecd-stage1.spec" and you're done. To use my spec files, you would need my hand-hacked copy of catalyst, which is currently useless on anything but my machine, since it has tons of hard-coded information (distcc hosts, paths, etc) that I have no plans on sanitizing just to release, considering it is a modification from catalyst, and the catalyst 1.x line has reached EOL as we are moving all development to catalyst 2.0, which will be capable of building a LiveCD similar to mine. At that time, I'll release specs designed for catalyst 2.0 for public consumption. -- Chris Gianelloni Release Engineering - Strategic Lead x86 Architecture Team Games - Developer Gentoo Linux