From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] Gentoo installer vs current installation method, what about later?
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 20:27:01
1 On Thu, 2005-10-20 at 16:12 -0400, Michael Crute wrote:
2 > On 10/20/05, Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
3 > On Fri, 2005-10-21 at 02:28 +0800, John Walsh wrote:
4 > > Ok, but will the CD still ahve everything it had before, or
5 > will you be removing stuff to make
6 > > room for X and all of that? If so, as I suspect, what will
7 > be taken out? Is there a place where
8 > > people can look at what will be removed and maybe vote on
9 > what needs to stay?
10 >
11 > Nothing is taken out. The Universal CD is just the Minimal
12 > CD, as far
13 > as functionality is concerned. This will be a more functional
14 > CD. As
15 > for voting, this isn't Survivor. You don't get to vote anyone
16 > off the
17 > island.
18 >
19 > Aww... come on... I wanna vote somebody off the island.
20 >
21 > Anyhow I think the minimal and the installer cd are the way to go.
22 > Perhaps if you just also release the source files you use to build the
23 > iso (I don't know what this would be, perhaps the catalyst file?) then
24 > people who desperately want to put together a KDE livecd or something
25 > like that could do it themselves.
26
27 Currently, much of the ISO generation is done manually. As for what is
28 done upto livecd-stage1, I have actually said many times how to
29 accomplish this. Take every package from the published "packagecd.spec"
30 for x86, add them to the end of "livecd-stage1.spec" and you're done.
31
32 To use my spec files, you would need my hand-hacked copy of catalyst,
33 which is currently useless on anything but my machine, since it has tons
34 of hard-coded information (distcc hosts, paths, etc) that I have no
35 plans on sanitizing just to release, considering it is a modification
36 from catalyst 1.1.10.10, and the catalyst 1.x line has reached EOL as we
37 are moving all development to catalyst 2.0, which will be capable of
38 building a LiveCD similar to mine. At that time, I'll release specs
39 designed for catalyst 2.0 for public consumption.
42 Chris Gianelloni
43 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
44 x86 Architecture Team
45 Games - Developer