From: Walter White <walterjwhite@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-installer] installer/ releng coordination
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 13:42:50
Hi John and all,

I was hoping to have a gentoo installer for the end of this summer (I have
been working on my own C++ installer intermittently and it is near finished,
but command line only).  I was looking at work some other gentooers have
done, and there was one that caught my eye:

This project is based from anaconda.  I think we could use this as a base
and change it to fit the Gentoo framework.  I originally thought writing
from scratch might be a better idea, but they have done a lot of the stuff
we need to do.  We just need to change package selection/installation and
remove all RedHat references.

To keep everyone on the same page, we should use an IDE like KDevelop.
Whoever is the project manager should assign us individual tasks so we are
all working on different areas to keep development going or maybe we can
select ones ourselves and just post a comment here or something to let
others know.  I think that patching the installer rather than a total
rewrite will save us time in re-inventing the wheel.  Would you guys want to
vote on this - should we use the Anaconda installer or rewrite everything
from scratch?