From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] educating users
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 21:18:23
1 On Mon, 2005-09-19 at 16:41 -0400, Michael Miller wrote:
2 > Not to rant on, but my stance on gentoo, albeit against many of the
3 > developers, is that it is a fast operating system. That is, in my
4
5 Gentoo, under most circumstances, is not any faster than any other
6 distribution. In fact, in most cases, other distributions are faster
7 due to their heavy use of prelink.
8
9 > view, the only thing seperating it from other distros save for
10 > portage. Many people like to tweak every last bit of performance out
11
12 I'm sorry to hear that you missed out on the most important part of
13 Gentoo, and that is empowering you to use your system as you like and
14 configure it how you wish.
15
16 > of gentoo, which is great! However, I think gentoo should indeed be
17 > more user friendly. Don't get me wrong-I CAN install gentoo, and edit
18 > configuration files, but it is very time consuming, and not time
19 > efficent for me. I wish gentoo was very easy to install(like redhat),
20
21 That isn't the reason for this project, nor will it ever be. Gentoo
22 will never be easy to install simply because we don't make decisions for
23 you. This means there will *always* be a huge installation guide and
24 lots of options to chose from. Sure, we could take away all decisions
25 and make it a simple "Next, Next, Next, Finish" installer like Red Hat
26 or Windows, but that would kill Gentoo's primary advantage.
27
28 > and included an easy to use configuration tweaker where you could
29 > EASILY change your cflags for basic optimizations for specific
30 > processors(you could select p4, amd64, etc etc). You would of course
31
32 Well, considering the only CFLAGS option you ever really need to change
33 is -march, I don't see the issue. See, us developers don't recommend
34 anything further than "-O2 -march=${subarch} -pipe" for any
35 installation. Funny enough, that is what the stages default to, anyway.
36 Amazing how that works, isn't it? *grin*
37
38 Also, a configuration tool is beyond the scope of the installer project,
39 at least currently. This project is for the design of a rapid
40 deployment tool for Gentoo.
41
42 > be able to manually edit it as well. The thing that I find so
43 > daunting about linux, as compared to windows, is the fact that you
44 > have to know what almost every single file does. Wanna change your
45 > sound card? You have to know where /etc/alsa is. It is these kinds of
46
47 You know that many consider this to be one of the primary reasons *for*
48 using Linux, right? I'd rather know what every file on my system does
49 than have 2GB of crap in "System32" that I'm not allowed to touch or
50 look at for fear of it completely hosing up my system.
51
52 > things that frustrate me. Don't get me wrong, I know MANY, if not all
53 > but me on this mailing list, are opposed to catering to end users who
54 > don't want to have to memorize a 40 page guide to know how to install
55 > gentoo in their head, but I think it would be a good idea to have
56 > gentoo easy to configure. I'm not saying someone who doesn't know how
57
58 Well, we probably cater to "end users" more than most distributions,
59 through our excellent documentation. Nobody expects you to remember it
60 all. That's why we put the documentation on all of our release media.
61 We also have it available online in several forms. We even translate it
62 into a bunch of languages, for non-English speakers.
63
64 The main thing to understand is that Linux is complex, as is any
65 operating system. A computer is not a simple device like a TV or VCR.
66 Instead it is a complex system of interconnected parts. You cannot
67 treat it like an appliance and expect to get good results from it. This
68 is why we have such a dearth of information available at your disposal.
69
70 > to install Windows will know how to setup and run a gentoo
71 > installation, but I think it should be easier to run then it currently
72 > is.
73
74 There's no skill involved in installing Windows, nor Gentoo. If you can
75 click "Next" then you can install Windows. If you can read and follow
76 directions, then you can install Gentoo. It requires no real critical
77 thinking to follow instructions. ;]
78
79 > On another side note I things that the thing that is blocking linux
80 > from the end user are application installation, and driver
81 > installation. Come up with an easy way to do both of these, and i'll
82 > never use win32 again :).
83
84 emerge $program?
85
86 genkernel all?
87
88 How much easier can it be? I mean, we already beat the snot out of
89 Windows for usability. Want Mozilla Firefox? Type "emerge
90 mozilla-firefox" and wait. If you wanted to do the same thing under
91 Windows, you would need to open a web browser, surf to
92 www.mozilla.org/firefox, grab a zip file of firefox, unzip it (hoping
93 you have an application to do so), run setup.exe, click "Next" 50
94 bazillion times, then click on "Finish". This is a massive number of
95 steps to do a simple task, yet people claim that Linux is too hard to
96 use.
97
98 How about adding drivers? Well, if you use genkernel, then you'll have
99 every driver pre-configured and ready to go on your system, minus one or
100 two minor things (yeah, graphics drivers suck). If you follow the
101 Handbook and install coldplug, then you'll have 0 configuration to do.
102
103 > Again, I want to reidorate, I realize that the main focus of gentoo is
104 > to cater to so called "power users" who know everything about Linux,
105
106 No. The main focus of Gentoo is to *empower* *all* users to do what
107 they want with Linux. This can be anyone from a person who has never
108 touched Linux to a 30-year Unix veteran. You aren't required to really
109 know what you're doing to use Gentoo. You're just required to read and
110 comprehend.
111
112 > and tweak everything in it. I just wish that I could have a tweakable
113 > operating system without reading 40 pages each time I installed it!
114
115 Feel free to write one.
116
117 One thing I always find humorous is the comparisons with Windows and
118 Linux where everyone claims Windows is easier. It isn't. In most cases
119 you have to do at *least* twice as much work to get something done. The
120 main issue is that you're already *used* to doing all of that work, so
121 it doesn't *seem* like you're doing so much work. Take my Firefox
122 example above and you'll understand what I mean.
123
124 Anyway, this is *way* off-topic for this list, so I'll shut up now. ;]
127 Chris Gianelloni
128 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
129 Games - Developer
130 Gentoo Linux