From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] educating users
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 13:25:47
1 On Mon, 2005-09-19 at 02:07 -0400, Bryan Quigley wrote:
2 > I am a noob with gentoo and linux. Are you trying to make it harder
3 > for me to install gentoo, and make it take more time?
4
5 I think what Andrew is trying to do is curb the people out there that
6 think that using a graphical installer makes Gentoo any easier to
7 install, when it does not.
8
9 > gentoo was my first real attempt at linux, and I installed it as I
10 > read the handbook. I didnt read and master the handbook before
11 > starting the install.
12
13 You don't have to read and master it, you just have to follow it. The
14 problem here is stemming from people that are refusing to read the
15 Handbook, then wondering why they can't get Gentoo installed and are
16 starting to flood our support channels with questions answered in the
17 Handbook.
18
19 > If you believe that someone having trouble with gentoo would ask it on
20 > a list instead of reading the handbook. Then might they just ask the
21 > questions from the test?
22
23 Exactly. This is the reason why I think any kind of quiz would be
24 pretty pointless. Perhaps a starting page that tells the user that the
25 documentation is located in the Handbook and that they should read the
26 Handbook before asking questions would be good, but anything as
27 pervasive as a quiz is pretty much wasted time on both the developer's
28 part and the user's.
29
30 Do we need a copy of the Handbook on the CD for use by the installer?
31 That shouldn't be a problem and is of minimal size. One other thing
32 that we will need is information on the installer added to the Handbook,
33 as right now, a lot of assumptions are made that the users will be able
34 to translate the command-line options from the Handbook into clicks (or
35 selections) in the installer front-ends.
36
37 Yes, it is going to take a lot of work. Yes, it is going to suck. Yes,
38 I recommend trying to find and bribe one of the docs team members into
39 being an installer docs monkey for a short while. ;]
42 Chris Gianelloni
43 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
44 Games - Developer
45 Gentoo Linux