From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] Gentoo installer vs current installation method, what about later?
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 18:53:47
On Thu, 2005-10-20 at 01:59 +0800, John Walsh wrote:
> Hello all, > > I just need some enlightenment, is the gentoo installer going to REPLACE the current methode or is it going to > be an aleternative, like choosing in between expert/manual (the current method) and easy (the gentoo installer). > The reason I ask this is because I like the current install method via the livecd and I use that livecd A LOT when > I have to solve some problems on a linux (and even window$) partition. I wouldn't not want to be able to still use > the livecd as it is currently usable, because I think it is the best livecd out there. If it is going to completely > replace the current livecd installation method then is there going to someone at Gentoo to keep up the livecd > tradition?
The concept I have in place for future releases is pretty simple. There will be 2 CD images per architecture. 1. Minimal InstallCD 2. Installer LiveCD There will also be stages 1, 2, and 3 on the mirrors. You will still be able to do a manual installation, but it will be highly discouraged, simply due to possible problems. At any rate, when I say LiveCD, I mean the full-blown CD with X on it. This CD will be the replacement for both the Universal InstallCD and the PackageCD. It will also be usable as a RescueCD, so essentially, it is filling three roles. The Minimal InstallCD will be reduced even further to be usable for installation only. Any non-installation-related packages will be removed from the CD. I've been considering even removing some of the lesser-used drivers that typically cause problems and leaving them for the full LiveCD only. You can, of course, still perform a manual installation using the LiveCD. You aren't forced to use the Installer. I, personally, only use the LiveCD, as I like having a complete environment available when doing troubleshooting, or even just being able to get on gaim while I'm waiting for my install to complete. -- Chris Gianelloni Release Engineering - Strategic Lead x86 Architecture Team Games - Developer Gentoo Linux