From: "Buttchereit
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] Pretty Slideshow
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 12:10:02
David Longo wrote:
> Hello Everyone, > I have been installing various distros in virtual machines to check > out their installers and I came across one thing. With Windows and > Suse and a few others, there is a pretty slideshow that tells all of > the benefits of their system...instead of that, what about if Gentoo > were to have a slideshow of a lesson on linux. I mean, one of the > points of the 40-page manual text-based install is for users to learn > if we're replacing it, we could at least talk them through > linux...What do you think? >
It depends on the "target group" of the "installer". If you are thinking about "gentoo-linux" for "home users" it might be a good idea to have such a slide show during installation. If you are thinking about "gentoo enterprise linux" you should focus on fully automated (silent) setups. My daily business is the later case (but for Win32 platforms) and I have to say that all those "pretty GUIs and slide shows" (OS Deploy, Software Packages) are quite annoying... Nothing is more comfortable then having "configuration templates" (XML-Files) that are applied automatically (and silently) during setup. Much more important than a "GUI" might be - "Recovery in case of errors", - "Backup of existing data", - "Reporting of installation success and errors", - "Database backend for the templates/profiles", and - "Launching the setup from PXE" -Axel -- gentoo-installer@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-installer] Pretty Slideshow David Longo <longodj@×××××.com>