From: Sami Samhuri <sami@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] Pretty Slideshow
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 16:57:22
1 * On Fri Dec-03-2004 at 08:10:49 PM +1100, Daniel said:
2 > On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 09:41:42 +0100, Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o> wrote:
3 > > On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 11:06:57PM -0500, David Longo wrote:
4 > >
5 > > > I have been installing various distros in virtual machines to check
6 > > > out their installers and I came across one thing. With Windows and
7 > > > Suse and a few others, there is a pretty slideshow that tells all of
8 > > > the benefits of their system...instead of that, what about if Gentoo
9 > > > were to have a slideshow of a lesson on linux. I mean, one of the
10 > > > points of the 40-page manual text-based install is for users to learn
11 > > > linux...so if we're replacing it, we could at least talk them through
12 > > > linux...What do you think?
13 > >
14 > > Definitely something we want to do (you do mean the slideshow during the
15 > > installation progress) but we also have to make sure that this slideshow is
16 > > available for users before/after the installation (think use on events,
17 > > breaks during presentations, ...).
18 > >
19 > > Not every user sits behind his PC while Gentoo is installing, and not every
20 > > user is interested in this screenshow, but the two aren't related.
21 >
22 > Well, you could always have the slideshow during the installer and
23 > then a special 'introduction program' when it's finished installing.
24
25 I think a link that opens up this page[1] of the handbook would be a
26 good alternative to an introduction program. It has all the information
27 one should need, and there's the bonus that it's most likely going to be
28 quite up to date. If there was a separate introduction program that
29 would just be another document to maintain which contains similar
30 information.
31
32 [1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=12
33 (perhaps the correct ARCH can be detected automatically)
36 Sami Samhuri