From: Sami Samhuri <sami@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] Pretty Slideshow
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 16:57:22
* On Fri Dec-03-2004 at 08:10:49 PM +1100, Daniel said:
> On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 09:41:42 +0100, Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o> wrote: > > On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 11:06:57PM -0500, David Longo wrote: > > > > > I have been installing various distros in virtual machines to check > > > out their installers and I came across one thing. With Windows and > > > Suse and a few others, there is a pretty slideshow that tells all of > > > the benefits of their system...instead of that, what about if Gentoo > > > were to have a slideshow of a lesson on linux. I mean, one of the > > > points of the 40-page manual text-based install is for users to learn > > > if we're replacing it, we could at least talk them through > > > linux...What do you think? > > > > Definitely something we want to do (you do mean the slideshow during the > > installation progress) but we also have to make sure that this slideshow is > > available for users before/after the installation (think use on events, > > breaks during presentations, ...). > > > > Not every user sits behind his PC while Gentoo is installing, and not every > > user is interested in this screenshow, but the two aren't related. > > Well, you could always have the slideshow during the installer and > then a special 'introduction program' when it's finished installing.
I think a link that opens up this page[1] of the handbook would be a good alternative to an introduction program. It has all the information one should need, and there's the bonus that it's most likely going to be quite up to date. If there was a separate introduction program that would just be another document to maintain which contains similar information. [1] (perhaps the correct ARCH can be detected automatically) -- Sami Samhuri