From: Bryan Quigley <gquigs@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] Some suggestings....
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 01:22:27
On 1/2/06, Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o> wrote:
> > Bryan Quigley wrote: > > On the Partitioning screen, have a before and after. Especially helpful > > when the user is loading a previously created profile. (No "after" > > until changes have been made, aka it appears once there have been > changes) > > Huh?
The After screen will indicate what setup is going to do, the before screen indicates what was there before. It gives users a better indication on what will be done. If they load a previously created setup file, it is not obvious if the creator of the setup file included partitioning information or if they have to set it up themselves.
> On the make.conf screen is there away to negate something, aka -kde? > > Unchecking it effectively negates it.
Replace negate with some word that has a stronger negative connotation.
> Also a load make.conf button might be helpful at least for people who > > already have a make.conf file. > > And where would this make.conf file be if they're booted from a livecd and > don't > have anything mounted by default?
I'm assuming at least a little linux knowledge, didn't know the installer was designed for noobs. :) /sarcasm Could get it through one of the many communication applications included (ex. Firefox). How would you expect them to get the install profile there?
> I have skipped the hostname/domain name tab several times when > > installing. I don't think have two tabs under Networking is the best > > way. Perhaps put the hostname / domain name fields above the device > list? > > This probably won't happen. Eventually, there will end up being more > options on > the second tab, so it can't really be eliminated.
Oh, well thought I'd mention it.
> Add option "none" to system logger. > > Nope. The install guide doesn't say that a logger is optional, so that > option > will not be in the GTK frontend. While I know that it isn't necessary, > we're > trying to stick to the install guide as much as possible. Although, it may > be > supported in the backend.
Seems logical.