From: Eric Sammer <esammer@g.o>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] New installer project status
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 14:17:41
1 Kurt Lieber wrote:
2 > Figure out where you want the directory and I'll be happy to create it.
3 > Looking at our various top level categories, it doesn't really fit cleanly
4 > into any of them. I'd suggest base as being the closest match.
5
6 This is sticky. I don't have an opinion either way about it as long as
7 it's not branded a desktop or server subproject so as to alienate either
8 group.
9
10 >>- Get a code repository going. Since non-devs may (as in "might," not
11 >>"can") participate in actual development, the repository may need to be
12 >>hosted on non-Gentoo servers.
13 >
14 > This is something I would object to. If this is an official Gentoo project
15 > (which I assume it is) that we're going to let official Gentoo users
16 > eventually user (which I assume we are) then we need to ensure that it's
17 > developed on secure infrastructure, etc.
18
19 Not a problem. That's why I threw that out as something to discuss. I
20 wasn't sure what our policies were on things such as this. Right now, I
21 think all those that would be writing code (and therefore need CVS
22 commit access) are Gentoo devs (or soon to be).
23
24 >>- Decide to what level non-devs should participate (mainly, can they
25 >>commit code)
26 >
27 > I vote no. :)
28
29 A fair vote. If there is an inroad to them becoming devs, that's fine. I
30 just didn't want to see good coders turned away.
31
32 >>- Complete high(er) level design documents that all devs agree on.
33 >
34 > Good luck. :)
35
36 Heh. Yea, well... we can try. ;)