From: "Norman Rieß" <norman@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] version 0.3 of the Gentoo Linux Installer
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 07:33:33
1 Well we seem to have different opinions about installers and have to
2 accept that.
5 > I'm sorry, but I feel I must weigh in here...
6 >
7 > This entire thread is pointless, since the list of available USE flags
8 > depends entirely on what portage tree is used, and the installer cannot
9 > know that until the install has already started.
10 >
11 > Having said that, the installer was *not* written to make installation
12 > easier for the user, but instead to make the process automated, to allow
13 > for mass deployments and such. Any user-friendliness you may be
14 > experiencing is simply a result of an effort on the developers' part to
15 > make it as easy on system administrators as possible.
16 >
17 > As far as the issue of reading the documentation goes, I agree with
18 > Oddball; those who can't or aren't willing to read the manual should not
19 > be using Gentoo. No matter how much you may want it to, a single
20 > distribution can't fit everybody perfectly. If a distribution tries to
21 > accommodate everyone, it will tend to die. That's just a fact of life.
22 > Deal with it.
23 >