From: LinuxMan <linuxman@×××××××××.com>
To: Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-installer] version 0.3 of the Gentoo Linux Installer
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 13:28:18
1 Thanks for clarifying your perspective Simon. But I think if this is the
2 general feeling and reason for the Gentoo Live Installer then your point
3 should be emphasised more to the Linux community at large. When Distrowatch
4 and others release statements about the new live installer then your
5 subjecting yourselves to be influxed with new users who think it's the
6 answer to their prayers. It's these hundreds, probably thousands of users
7 who need to know that 'Live Installer' in Gentoo speak is not the same as
8 'Live Installer' in PClinuxOS speak. In defence of the GLI I guess there is
9 no set boundaries as to what a Live Installer should exactly do.
10
11 I personally think the GLI is a massive improvement over traditional
12 methods, but still think the term 'Live Installer' is somewhat mis-leading
13 to new users. And I think you should care about what people think, and also
14 if they prefer another distro because without people/users Gentoo is dead.
17 -----Original Message-----
18 From: Simon Stelling [mailto:blubb@g.o]
19 Sent: 01 March 2006 12:53
20 To: linuxman@×××××××××.com
21 Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] version 0.3 of the Gentoo Linux
22 Installer
25 Hi,
26
27 LinuxMan wrote:
28 > What sort of attitude is that to tempt new users to Gentoo, or anyone for
29 > that matter. Surely the installer should be aiming to make installation
30 not
31 > just easier but also easier and better than the rest. Otherwise what's the
32 > point? If that's your attitude you might as well not bothered with the
33 > installer and just told everyone to read the manual instead!! I think
34 Norman
35 > has a valid point and your answer doesn't do his question justice. I'm
36 > concerned that there are potential new users who could add to Gentoo, who
37 > are going elsewhere because of confusing options and attitudes that don't
38 > help anyone.
39
40 Right, there are some very different opinions floating around in this
41 thread,
42 and they definitvely need some explanation. Let me try to explain my
43 personal
44 mentality towards this topic, I'm sure it'll help you to understand certain
45 decisions:
46
47 I've been a Gentoo developer for 1.5 years, working mostly 3 hours/day on
48 Gentoo, which makes a total of ~1650 hours. If I would only get $10 per
49 hour,
50 that would make at least ~$16'000. Doing volunteer work is pretty strange in
51 a
52 capitalistic system. Why should I do a lot of work for free? Of course not
53 because I'm just a great guy. The main reasons why I do work on OSS are:
54
55 * It's fun digging around in source code.
56 * It's fun being part of a great community.
57 * It's a great way to learn new stuff.
58 * It's a great way to avoid boredom.
59
60 As you see, the most important reason is having fun. I don't care about what
61 people think of Gentoo. If they think Debian is 10 times better, that's
62 okay. If
63 they think Gentoo is the biggest shit on earth and just a waste of time for
64 everybody, that's okay. I have fun with it, and that's the important thing.
65
66 Now, that was the fun part. But there are also a few things that are not so
67 funny. The most annoying thing I can think of are PEBCAK (problem exists
68 between
69 chair and keyboard) problems. You don't know how annoying it is to get
70 bugged
71 about a certain problem 100 times although you documented it very well and
72 even
73 asked people to read the documentation. It drives you mad. Sadly, there are
74 a
75 lot of new users unwilling to read documentation and then think Gentoo sucks
76 just because they are lazy. You try to solve the problem by making things
77 easy
78 enough that it doesn't require documentation. But keep in mind that those
79 people
80 will never contribute anything to the project. That's the big difference
81 between
82 commercial projects and free ones: I gave the lazy user 1650 hours of my
83 time,
84 he gave me nothing but a rant. If he at least gave me 16'000 bucks, the
85 situation would be a bit different, but he didn't.
86
87 People who want to give something back to a project start doing so by
88 reading
89 documentation. How could you contribute to a project without understanding
90 it
91 anyway? You simply can't.
92
93 The installer is a great thing, because it saves a lot of time for me, but
94 it
95 was never written to save the time you need to read and understand
96 documentation. GLI enables me to complete a Gentoo installation within 15
97 minutes, therefore it is a great thing. It's not a great thing because it
98 will
99 make Gentoo more popular or easier to install for newbies that don't want to
100 read documentation.
101
102 I hope I could help you to understand the issue from a dev perspective.
103
104 Kind regards,
107 Simon Stelling
108 Gentoo/AMD64 Operational Co-Lead
109 blubb@g.o
113 No virus found in this incoming message.
114 Checked by AVG Free Edition.
118 gentoo-installer@g.o mailing list