From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] Amd64 Installer
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 22:47:35
1 On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 17:13 -0500, Spencer Ogden wrote:
2 > 1) How can I help in diagnosing the Kernel Panic? What information would
3 > be useful? My understanding is that this is a new chipset and at least
4 > kernel version 2.6.14 is needed (I'm running 2.6.15 under x86). What
5 > version does the installer use?
6
7 Don't bother.
8
9 The 2005.1-r1 CD had a 2.6.12 kernel on it. It probably simply won't
10 work for your machine.
11
12 > 2) I guess by using x86 I am basically running my machine in 32-bit
13 > mode? Is there a way to transition to amd64, or will I have to
14 > reinstall? How much am I missing?
15
16 You installed 32-bit. You can't "upgrade" to 64-bit cleanly. You're
17 going to need to format/reinstall to get a 64-bit system. How much are
18 you missing? 32-bits... :P
19
20 Currently you are using only half of the general-purpose registers and
21 none of the 64-bit instructions on your chip. Basically, you have an
22 oversized Athlon XP.
23
24 > Thanks for your help, I've been a happy Gentoo user for a few years and
25 > this my first excursion into another architecture,
26
27 Unfortunately, it seems the AMD64 stuff advances much too quickly.
28 There is an experimental universal CD in /experimental/amd64/livecd on
29 your favorite mirror that uses a 2.6.14 kernel. The newer CD should
30 probably boot fine for you. The next Gentoo release, 2006.0, will be
31 based off a 2.6.15 kernel.
32
33 At any rate, none of your post had anything to do with the Gentoo Linux
34 Installer project, so it doesn't really belong here. This list is
35 specific to the installer application, not getting Gentoo installed.
38 Chris Gianelloni
39 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
40 x86 Architecture Team
41 Games - Developer