From: Eric Sammer <esammer@g.o>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-installer] Installer update 2004-10-12
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 03:34:13
1 All:
2
3 Here's a quick update of installer status...
4
5 - There is a push to release a user testable version of the installer
6 for the 2005.0 LiveCD. This is something we are currently working with
7 (and will continue to work with) the RelEng folks to make happen. This
8 is obviously contingent on even more hard work by not just the official
9 Gentoo developers, but the unofficial ones as well (which is everyone
10 else, in case you weren't catching the underlying statement). ;)
11
12 - Partitioning is still a headache, no two ways about it. A number of
13 people are doing their own research into this topic, independently. This
14 is good as different people have different ideas of how this should work
15 and hopefully we'll be able to find what works faster this way. Thanks
16 to those people working on this.
17
18 - Architecture support - a touchy subject to be sure. To clarify what
19 people may or may not have heard, it's true: we're concentrating on the
20 x86 version of the installer BUT this is because the current team is
21 made up of people with primarily x86 experience. We are NOT giving up on
22 other archs. What we are doing is trying to make the best of the
23 resources we have. If you want to see the arch of your choice released
24 sooner, we encourage you to get involved!
25
26 - There has been a lot of talk about Sun hardware and the size
27 limitations on netboot images. Netbooting is a requirement for a lot of
28 SPARC and MIPS based hardware so we need to find people who can do
29 research and testing on a workable solution to getting SPARC / MIPS
30 hardware to a point at which control can be passed to the installer on a
31 live file system (similar to x86 hardware after booting from a cd). A
32 number of other installers have worked around this (or made it work
33 somehow) so we just need to find the proper resources to work through this.
34
35 - We need people with python experience to work on arch templates for
36 specific architectures, review code, test, debug, improve, and document
37 code. Get involved! Yea, I mean you.
38
39 - As always, we're looking for ways to improve what we have to make it
40 more robust and flexible. Comments (that are respective and
41 constructive) are invited and always welcome.
42
43 Anyone who is interested in getting involved may speak to me (esammer)
44 or any of the following people in #gentoo-installer (freenode): klieber,
45 spyderous, tseng, samyron, codeman, or npmccallum. Those of you who
46 aren't Gentoo devs can look over the code from the ViewCVS interface
47 (see gentoo.org) in the gentoo/src/installer directory.
48
49 Regards.
50 --
51 E. Sammer