From: Jesse McNelis <jessta@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] educating users
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 13:51:48
On 9/20/05, Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o> wrote:
> On Tuesday 20 September 2005 03:32, Zac Medico wrote: > > Paul J. Wilson wrote: > > > Regular, everyday users tend not to have the time to spend on the > > > finer points of linux and gentoo in particular. > > > > These "everyday users" are unqualified to administrate a Gentoo box for > > various reasons including the inherent complexity of a source based > > distribution. A binary distribution with lots of "hand holding" would > > better suit their needs. Perhaps they could even use a binary > > distribution of Gentoo itself, but supported by some other entity. > > > > Sure, an "everyday user" can *use* Gentoo, but administration is best > > left to experts. That's all IMO, of course. ;) > > I think this indeed sums it up well. Gentoo is not aimed at users who do > not want (or are not capable) to learn some more complex parts of the > unix/linux operating system. That does not mean it's insuitable for > newbees, it means that they have a steep learning curve ahead. Gentoo is > not the most easy distribution around, and this is not the aim of gentoo. > Gentoo is, like any other distro, not a 20 legged spider. It is a source > based distribution with the goal of offering an uptodate, flexible, > vanilla system. > > Paul > > -- > Paul de Vrieze > Gentoo Developer > Mail: pauldv@g.o > Homepage: > > >
I've always wondered at the definition of "easy to use". does "easy to use" mean that you can pick it up and be productive in an afternoon? or does "easy to use" mean that once you have put in the hard yards to learn it, it is extremely easy to do everyday tasks and just as easy to do complex ones? - Jesse McNelis -- ===================== Don't worry, This isn't spam ===================== Dairy!* is back @ Running on the Wonderful Gentoo GNU/Linux Melbourne Wireless Node: GNE -- gentoo-installer@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-installer] educating users Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
Re: [gentoo-installer] educating users Erick Michau <balkira@×××××.com>