From: Joshua Nichols <nichoj@g.o>
To: gentoo-java <gentoo-java@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Questions about packages
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 14:03:31
1 David Highley wrote:
2 > I have some generic questions about the gentoo Java packages. First I
3 > wonder why you would package Sun's Java for x86 and x86_64 platforms
4 > since it can be down loaded from Sun.
5 >
6 Kind of an odd question... We actually package the JDKs / JREs that you
7 download from Sun, so that the installation is managed by portage. As
8 in, you can install, update, remove, etc. Additionally, you can have
9 multiple versions and vendors installed at the same time, and we have
10 tools for selecting which one you want to use at a given moment.
11 > Second question is why I do not see any apparent attempts at creating a
12 > package for Sun's distribution on the Power PC platform. I'm interested
13 > in this as we have a need for Java on an embedded OS platform that is
14 > running on a Power PC board. We are very interested in the effort it
15 > would take to build Sun's Java 1.5.x source to create a JRE for this
16 > platform the OS is very Linux like. Thanks
19 I believe that we used to do from-source packages of Sun's distribution.
20 I don't know the exact story abut why we dropped it, but I think it was
21 related to licensing issues or build issues. Could someone that knows
22 that story (Karl perhaps?) fill in the details ?
23
24 But what you're asking about here... I think it's more something you'd
25 have to talk to Sun about.
26
27 I'm not sure if you're aware, but IBM does have a JDK available on the
28 PPC. Would that suffice?
29
30 - Josh
31 --