From: Mark Wielaard <mark@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o, debian-java@××××××××××××.org, fedora-devel-java-list@××××××.com, ubuntu-devel@××××××××××××.com, jpackage-discuss@××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-java] GNU Classpath & friends meeting during Fosdem 2006
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 00:02:47
1 GNU Classpath & friends meeting during Fosdem 2006.
2
3 The various free software library, runtimes, compiler and tool
4 projects around GNU Classpath will meet in Brussel to discuss what has
5 happened in the last year in the Free Software community and what the
6 next year will bring us during Fosdem.
7
8 The 6th edition of FOSDEM (Free and Opensource Software Developers'
9 European Meeting) will take place on February 25+26 2006 in Brussels
10 (Belgium), at the Solbosch Campus of the ULB (Free University of
11 Brussels). FOSDEM is a free and non-commercial event for the community
12 and organized by the community. See http://www.fosdem.org/
13
14 The program will be as follows:
15
16 - Saturday from 13:00 to 17:30 - "End-User talks"
17
18 Presentations that show what cool stuff can be done with the Free
19 Stack right now.
20
21 - Putting the 'Free' into JFreeChart
22 Dave Gilbert, JFreeChart Project Leader
23
24 A review of the efforts to make JFreeChart work with GNU
25 Classpath-based runtimes, including a brief history, a demonstration
26 of the current state (using the java bindings for Cairo), and an
27 overview of the work that remains to be done.
28
29 - Using Eclipse for GNU Classpath development
30 Tom Tromey
31
32 Learn how to setup a fully working development environment based
33 on GNU Classpath in Eclipse that can be used to bootstrap the full
34 free toolchain (and can be used to run Eclipse itself) in just 10
35 minutes.
36
37 - Eclipse RCP and GCJ/GIJ
38 Wayne Beaton
39
40 Eclipse Rich Client Platform (RCP) is a runtime platform for
41 delivering your Java applications on multiple platforms. RCP is far
42 more than just a windowing toolkit; it is rich client "middleware"
43 that provides a comprehensive framework for building and deploying
44 applications that are modular, extensible, and updatable. The kinds
45 of applications you can build with Eclipse RCP are limited only by
46 your imagination. During this talk, we will discuss how the Eclipse
47 RCP can be used in conjunction with the Eclipse Eco-system and
48 GCJ/GIJ to build high quality applications.
49
50 If there is time at the end of the day we would like to do a
51 Show-And-Tell where people do quick Demos of applications running on a
52 completely free stack. Ideas and suggestions welcome.
53
54 - Sunday from 09:00 to 13:00 - "Developer talks"
55
56 Presentations of (core) libraries and runtimes that are in progress,
57 made a lot of progress in the last year and are in active development.
58
59 - Free Swing, past, present and future
60 Roman Kennke
61
62 An overview of that state of Free Swing one year ago, what has been
63 done in the meantime, what still must be done and which applications
64 work now.
65
66 - The Free CORBA comes
67 Dr Audrius Meskauskas
68
69 If the Free world does not want to step back in the battle, we need
70 a complete set of the Free tools for advanced communication over
71 the network. For our CORBA implementation we needed:
72
73 1. Free. No classes with restricted license.
74 2. Fully workable, interoperable and pass tests, recognized by
75 the CORBA user community as serious (we needed to find a well
76 known Free testing suite).
77 3. Properly commented, being ready for the long life in the Free
78 world.
79 4. No pressure to use the outdated approaches.
80 CORBA 3.0.3 and jdk 1.5.
81
82 To reach these goals, we have chosen for implementing a clean room
83 implementation, using the published standard specifications only.
84 During the recent year of the GNU Classpath development, this goal
85 is in large degree achieved. The important directions of future
86 development could be providing features that are outside the scope
87 of the both CORBA standard and Sun API, but included in the near all
88 proprietary implementations (SSH, HTTP and other bridges, get rid of
89 rmic code generator for RMI/IIOP, fault tolerant behavior, reduced
90 the footprint and others).
91
92 - The JamVM runtime
93 Robert Lougher
94
95 An overview of the JamVM virtual machine, with comparisons to other
96 GNU Classpath runtimes, and a section on the VM interface.
97
98 - Integrating Vmgen-based interpreters
99 Christian Thalinger
100
101 Vmgen is a tool for writing efficient interpreters. The Cacao
102 runtime recently added a Vmgen based interpreter in addition to
103 the JIT engine.
104
105 - Sunday from 14:00 to 17:30 - "The Future"
106
107 Interactive technical hacker discussions on how to integrate
108 the projects more and move forward in the next year.
109
110 - State of the world, beyond japi
111 Mark Wielaard, GNU Classpath Maintainer
112
113 After a short overview of the various free stacks, libraries,
114 compilers, tools and runtimes this session is mostly open discussion
115 about what work remains to be done and how to integrate the various
116 efforts better. Ideas for work items welcome.
117
118 We hope to see you in Brussels on February 25 and 26 2006, If you have
119 suggestions or ideas for the demos and discussion sessions please
120 contact us at fosdem@×××××××××××××××××××.org.
121
122 Arnaud, Dalibor, Mark, Michael and Tom
125 Escape the Java Trap with GNU Classpath!
126 http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/java-trap.html
127
128 Join the community at http://planet.classpath.org/
131 gentoo-java@g.o mailing list