From: Alistair Bush <ali_bush@g.o>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] java-pkg-simple and java-mvn-src eclasses
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2009 23:54:58
1 Ok, things to note and it would be interesting to see whether other
2 dev's agree with me:
3
4 java-pkg-simple.eclass:
5
6 1) inherit java-utils-2 (this is required) instead of java-pkg-2. Add
7 checks to ensure java-pkg-2 is inheritted (so ebuild does it).
8 2) create the jar within src_compile, not src install.
9 3) I would like to see var's like JAVA_SRC_DIR(S) so that
10 java-pkg_dosrc and javadoc could be generated and installed. See what
11 you can do :)
12
13 java-mvn-src.eclass:
14 Have this inherit from java-pkg-simple.eclass
15 Im also concerned about how you are attempting to download a single
16 file from multiple locations. Im told it is valid, but would rather set
17 it up as a thirdpartymirror.
18
19 *.ebuilds:
20 inherit java-pkg-2 [java-pkg-simple java-mvn-src]
21
22 With the eclasses i'm trying to make them as similar to the layout (and
23 relationships) of java-pkg-2 and java-ant-2
24
25 Martin von Gagern wrote:
26 > Hi!
27 >
28 > I propose two new eclasses. One is for building java packages from their
29 > *.java source files, without any additional build instructions. The
30 > second builds on it and is intended for source bundles exported by the
31 > source:jar goal of Maven2. Two parts of istack-commons can be bumped
32 > using these, in order to address https://bugs.gentoo.org/188015 .
33 >
34 > I would like to commit all of these to java-experimental if there are no
35 > objectsion. If you leave the Subject in place, I will catch replies to
36 > this list. Otherwise please Cc me personally, as I don't read every mail
37 > to the list.
38 >
39 > On IRC selckin1 said: "simple eclass to build simple java packages has
40 > been proposed many times. my main question would be why doesn't it exist
41 > allready, this been suggested many times going back years, must be a
42 > reason." Any input on this would be useful as well.
43
44 My only concern with "simple eclasses" is it could compile, bundle and
45 install
46 tests, or even more concerning be used to bypass
47 a "better" build system that includes unit tests, etc, etc.
50 > Greetings,
51 > Martin von Gagern (aka MvG)