From: Kasun Gajasinghe <kasunbg@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Maven from source - version 2.x or 3.x ?
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 11:53:12
1 On 24 May 2011, at 14:37, Petteri Räty <betelgeuse@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On 05/23/2011 07:52 PM, Kasun Gajasinghe wrote:
4 >
5 >>>
6 >>> maven-bin 2.x support continues to work through the binary package?
7 >>
8 >> Yes, we can keep supporting maven-bin 2.x for maven users. Though the
9 >> packagers of projects based on maven won't be able to use the support
10 >> for maven 2.x if we start with 3.x.This project's focus is more
11 >> towards packagers, right? I think Serkan or people who are more
12 >> familiar with this can give an exact answer.
15 > So are you discussing which version of Maven to build from source or
16 > which version to target ebuild infrastructure for? Those two don't
17 > necessarily need to be the same and your topic implied the former but
18 > the above talks about the latter.
19
20 Well, mainly this project is inclined towards packagers.
21 But of course the users are targeted too. Currently, users have the
22 maven-bin too
23 which means they have a choice in hand. The problem with Maven 3 is
24 that some important plugins for users are not
25 supported yet.
26
27 > The ebuild infrastructure for Maven
28 > based projects should work just the same regardless of whether the
29 > maven
30 > package itself is built from source or not. Our target is of course to
31 > get rid of all binary packages but I consider this thread about asking
32 > about priorities. For ebuild infrastructure targeting 2.x is fine if
33 > the
34 > large majority of projects that will start using the work are using
35 > 2.x.
36 > Otherwise I think my earlier logic still applies.
37
38 Indeed the large majority of the projects are using 2.x AFAIK. May be all? ;)
39
40 IMHO, it's better if we start with 2.x. Bumping to 3.x from there
41 isn't a big deal. And, by that time maven 3 would be much matured too.
42
43 Personally, I'm not switching my projects to 3.x because there's actually no
44 mind blowing reason. Only difference is the speed and the better error
45 reporting. These features doesn't deserve such a version increment anyway.
46
47 I think Petteri is OK with 2.x based on your comments? If there's no
48 further arguments from others, I'd like to go ahead with 2.x.
49
50 Thanks,
51 --Kasun