From: Alon Bar-Lev <alon.barlev@×××××.com>
To: Andrew John Hughes <gnu_andrew@××××××××××.org>
Cc: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] icedtea6 bootstrap
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 04:12:55
1 On 9/14/08, Andrew John Hughes <gnu_andrew@××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On 15:38 Sun 14 Sep , Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
3 > > Hello,
4 > >
5 > > I just curious... How do you see the boostrap process for normal users?
6 > >
7 > > You need jdk to setup icedtea... So we have somekind of loop...
10 > Yes, such a bootstrap issue is hardly limited to IcedTea.
11 > The same occurs with gcc for example, and other Free Java VMs.
12
13 This is OK to have these issues, I just want user to be able to setup
14 their configuration correctly and easily.
15
16 > > Users who do not want non open source package to run on their computers should:
17 > >
18 > > 1. Install gcj
19 > > 2. Install icedtea
20 > > 3. Reinstall icedtea so it compiles with icedtea and drop gcj dependency???
21 > > 4. Uninstall gcj
25 > You don't need stage 3 (there is no 'gcj dependency'), and stage 4 is completely optional.
26 > Other Free VMs can be used, but they also have bootstrap issues.
27
28 Great!
29
30 > In the long run, we probably need a binary option for lower spec. machines,
31 > as I've already said.
32
33 I don't like binaries... we really need to find a way to build from source.
34
35 > > Portage do not support these sequences...
39 > Well this is probably a flaw in portage then, but the solution is only
40 > a two-step emerge process:
41 >
42 > emerge gcj-jdk
43 > emerge icedtea6
44 >
45 > I don't think that's inherently difficult.
46
47 You forgot:
48 java-config -S icedtea6
49 emerge --unmerge gcj-jdk
50
51 It is not difficult for me or you. It is difficult for regular user
52 who want open source jdk and doing emerge openoffice for example. The
53 first jdk will be pulled... If the first jdk is gcj then this will be
54 installed and used by openoffice. If you want to use icedtea then you
55 need to complete some more stages. Most users will need some help.
56
57 > > So we have several options:
58 > > 1. Have users do this manually.
59 > > 2. Create a script similar to crossdev that perform the sequence.
60 > > 3. Add a private gcj build into the compile stage of icedtea, and drop
61 > > the jdk dependency.
65 > I don't see any problem with 1. Why is gcj not enabled in the bootstrap
66 > gcc on the install CDs?
67
68 Because it takes space and not needed for many configurations.
69
70 I think a simple script in the spirit of crossdev will enable users to
71 correctly and quickly set up their jdk.
72
73 Alon.