From: dalibor topic <robilad@×××××.org>
To: Rene Bartsch <ML@××××××××××.de>
Cc: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] GCJ with IcedTea classpath?
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 10:54:47
Rene Bartsch wrote:
> Hi, > > if I'm understanding correctly, GCJ >= 4.3 is a fully compatible Java-VM > and Java-Compiler.
Not quite - GCJ makes no claims of full compatibility with any specific Java release.
> But the drawback is the incomplete classpath. > On the other hand the OpenJDK classpath is incomplete due to proprietary > code, too. >
Not any more - the remainder of the OpenJDK class library has been freed over the past year. There is a tiny slice of SNMP code left over, but that's not part of the platform specification, so it's not necessary for a fully compatible implementation.
> Because of that Redhat added packages of the classpath to OpenJDK > and called it IcedTea. >
That was the world as it was a year ago, yeah. IcedTea has moved on to serve other duties meanwhile (for example as integration point for Zero, gcjwebplugin/netx, etc.), since OpenJDK over the past year completed the work on the proprietary encumbrancies (in collaboration with IcedTea, of course).
> So the question came to my mind whether it is possible to get a fully > compatible JVM and native code compiler by combining GCJ with the IcedTea > classpath? >
Could be - but it would not be trivial work. For a start, you'd really want to decouple gcj from the existing classpath class library, which it currently has to patch, and drag a copy around of. That's something that took quite a while to accomplish for Kaffe, for example, as it is by no means a trivial task to do it right. Then you'd want to introduce a shim layer for using an installed openjdk as its class library, and implement the necessary low level interfaces in gcj. Once you're done with that, you'd get in touch with me for a TCK license for OpenJDK, and spend a fair bit of time working on fixing the issues exposed by the test suite making sure that you have a fully compatible combination. cheers, dalibor topic
-- gentoo-java@l.g.o mailing list