From: Marat Radchenko <slonopotamusorama@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-java] Ebuilds for IntelliJ IDEA
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 08:15:50
Hi. I've been bumping IntelliJ IDEA ebuild [1] for a pretty long time
and everyone was happy. Now, idea-9 released. I already bumped
dev-util/idea ebuild which now builds Ultimate Edition (UE).

The question is how we want to handle Community Edition (CE) [2]
(available under Apache-2.0 license). Jetbrains shipped binary release
[3], source is available via git [4,5], however there isn't any source

I suggest following layout: dev-util/idea (UE) +
dev-util/idea-community (source CE) [+ dev-util/idea-community-bin
(binary CE)] where idea-community-bin is optional. The goal in mind is
to push source CE into main tree.

Another question is how to handle simultanious installations of
different versions. dev-util/idea is SLOTed based on major version
(idea has separate config dir in ~ for each major version) and
installed to /opt/idea-${SLOT} with /usr/bin/idea-${SLOT} launcher

The last question is what to do with source CE tarballs since upstream
doesn't publish them (although, git tags to make them ourselves are