From: Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldonkin@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] OpenJDK, IcedTea and Package Naming
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 15:06:05
1 On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 3:26 PM, Andrew John Hughes
2 <gnu_andrew@××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > 2008/9/14 Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldonkin@×××××.com>:
4 >> On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 2:21 AM, Andrew John Hughes
5 >> <gnu_andrew@××××××××××.org> wrote:
6 >>> 2008/9/13 Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldonkin@×××××.com>:
7 >>
8 >> <snip>
9 >>
10 >>>> AIUI and IMNSHO *NO* local build from source qualifies. gentoo
11 >>>> *SHOULD* *NOT* expose users to risk by using trademarks etc for *ANY*
12 >>>> source build even from the sun tree.
13 >>>>
14 >>>
15 >>> Maybe that's being a bit over cautious,
16 >>
17 >> i agree that sun is unlikely to sue any users over java ATM but
18 >> trademarks must be defended or cease to exist. sooner or later sun
19 >> will have to either lose the java trademark or act against
20 >> unauthorised users.
23 > I wasn't talking about the Java trademark, I was talking about the OpenJDK
24 > trademark. Use of the Java trademark requires passing the
25 > certification process,
26 > and this isn't possible for a source build. Only binaries can pass
27 > the TCK and thus
28 > be certified.
29
30 yes
31
32 thanks for clarifying
33
34 >>> but the problem generally is
35 >>> Sun thought of this with binary distribution in mind, not source.
36 >>
37 >> the JCP is set up to manage binaries, not source. IMO this is the
38 >> fatal flaw in this system. (i'll avoid going OT by repeating the
39 >> argument again here.)
42 > Yes, the JCP still needs work, being centered around proprietary
43 > binary distribution for the most part.
44
45 the binary distributions only rule is a consequence of the closed TCK.
46 the TCK is closed to ensure a revenue stream for the spec leader.
47
48 i'll be interested to see whether the JCP survives. sun broke the
49 basic premise over the harmony TCK (all participants whether open
50 source or not hold contracts with sun who acts as an independent
51 judge). given that most open source projects can't afford to sue sun,
52 the legal framework needs extensive revision. it would be cleaner for
53 the JCP to issue a license covering any works that pass an open source
54 TCK for everything except branding rights including the mutual patent
55 grants. branding rights are only really required for commercial binary
56 implementations so an additional secret TCK and payment could be
57 required to unlock those.
58
59 >>> As with any legal agreement, the best solution is to consult a lawyer.
60 >>> I'm not one.
61 >>
62 >> does gentoo have a agreement with sun?
63 >> if so, is it available on line?
64 >> if not, what agreement is being relyed on?
67 > Not as far as I know, but other than naming and trademarks, OpenJDK is just
68 > like any other FOSS project.
69
70 trademarks are the important point (bit like firefox)
71
72 >>>> BTW i'm on AMD64 which has very poor support from the sun java
73 >>>> codebase. are there any plans to add support for the harmony VM?
74 >>>>
75 >>>
76 >>> What 'poor support'? IcedTea6 works fine for me here on amd64.
77 >>
78 >> eclipse and sun don't play well. however, i haven't tried switching to
79 >> the iced tea build on gentoo so maybe i'll give that a try next time.
80 >>
81 >>> Feel free to package Harmony, but I don't see how that will solve your problems,
82 >>
83 >> harmony runs eclipse fine. every couple of months when gentoo changes
84 >> something, i have to devote a couple of hours fixing stuff so that
85 >> eclipse works or else switch to harmony until everything's fixed.
88 > That's interesting. I don't know anything about the proprietary Sun
89 > builds on amd64, I've
90 > never used them. But I also don't run Eclipse. Have you filled
91 > appropriate bugs? Certainly try IcedTea and, if you get failures, report them to our bug
92 > database at
93 > http://icedtea.classpath.org/bugzilla.
94
95 cool
96
97 >>> given it doesn't yet have a complete implementation of even 1.5.
98 >>
99 >> if sun had honoured it's agreement to allow access to the TCK by open
100 >> source projects, then harmony (and the free JVMs) would have had
101 >> certified 1.5 implementations a year ago and (most likely) 1.6 ones as
102 >> well by now. this is a political issue, not a code one.
105 > I seriously doubt that, given it took OpenJDK a year to pass the 1.6
106 > TCK, despite
107 > being based on a codebase, the majority of which has passed as part of
108 > the proprietary work.
109
110 you'd be surprised :-)
111
112 at least one major corporation has taken a derived work based on
113 harmony codebase through the TCK
114
115 and ask yourself if google would have based andriod on harmony unless
116 it worked...
117
118 - robert