From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: "Peter B. West" <lists@××××××.au>
Cc: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Question about Sun-Jdk 1.4.2.10
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2005 09:46:28
1 Peter B. West wrote:
4 > I think you're missing my point. Java 5 works, and is, for practical
5 > purposes, forward compatible with 1,4, with the exception of 'enum'. If
6 > that is so, why not a flag 'java5', that triggers source source 1.4 on
7 > packages that need it? The system JVM is 5, and Bob's your uncle.
8 > What's the system-level stability issue?
11 Java 5 is *not* API compatible with 1.4.
12
13 We already have an overlay for using 1.5:
14 http://dev.gentoo.org/~betelgeuse/axxo-overlay
15
16 As far as stability goes, I think 1.5 is more stable than 1.4 as far as
17 for example applets go.
20 > This is not a technical issue, it's an ideological issue, as I said
21 > before. This is, in fact, quite explicit in the Gentoo documentation. I
22 > suggest that subscribers to the "conspiracy-theory-theory" (I never used
23 > the word) read the "Gentoo social contract"
24 > <http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/contract.xml>, including the definition
25 > of "free software" <http://www.fsf.org/licensing/essays/free-sw.html>.
26 >
27 > I suggest, further, that the Gentoo folks in this forum come clean about
28 > this when asked in good faith about using Java 5 on Gentoo. The answer
29 > is along these lines: Java 5 will not be supported on Gentoo until a 1.5
30 > JVM is available under a Stallman-approved licence. The genuine options
31 > for J5 users are to scrap the Gentoo Java support and maintain your own
32 > Java environment, or to abandon Gentoo.
33 >
34 > I see that there is yet another enquiry on the list about using J5. Do
35 > that user a favour and tell him why he can't get a supported J5
36 > environment on Gentoo, so that he can then make informed decisions. If
37 > you guys are embarrassed by the Gentoo ideology, change it or leave. If
38 > not, present it honestly, instead of spouting this deliberately
39 > misleading BS about system stability issues. It's leaving users with
40 > the impression that J5 is unstable, which it patently is not.
41 >
42 > Peter
43
44 We already have a Java 5 environment for which you will get support from
45 us: It is called the axxo-overlay.
46
47 Regards,
48 Petteri