From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: "Peter B. West" <lists@××××××.au>
Cc: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Question about Sun-Jdk
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2005 09:46:28
Peter B. West wrote:
> > > I think you're missing my point. Java 5 works, and is, for practical > purposes, forward compatible with 1,4, with the exception of 'enum'. If > that is so, why not a flag 'java5', that triggers source source 1.4 on > packages that need it? The system JVM is 5, and Bob's your uncle. > What's the system-level stability issue? >
Java 5 is *not* API compatible with 1.4. We already have an overlay for using 1.5: As far as stability goes, I think 1.5 is more stable than 1.4 as far as for example applets go.
> > This is not a technical issue, it's an ideological issue, as I said > before. This is, in fact, quite explicit in the Gentoo documentation. I > suggest that subscribers to the "conspiracy-theory-theory" (I never used > the word) read the "Gentoo social contract" > <>, including the definition > of "free software" <>. > > I suggest, further, that the Gentoo folks in this forum come clean about > this when asked in good faith about using Java 5 on Gentoo. The answer > is along these lines: Java 5 will not be supported on Gentoo until a 1.5 > JVM is available under a Stallman-approved licence. The genuine options > for J5 users are to scrap the Gentoo Java support and maintain your own > Java environment, or to abandon Gentoo. > > I see that there is yet another enquiry on the list about using J5. Do > that user a favour and tell him why he can't get a supported J5 > environment on Gentoo, so that he can then make informed decisions. If > you guys are embarrassed by the Gentoo ideology, change it or leave. If > not, present it honestly, instead of spouting this deliberately > misleading BS about system stability issues. It's leaving users with > the impression that J5 is unstable, which it patently is not. > > Peter
We already have a Java 5 environment for which you will get support from us: It is called the axxo-overlay. Regards, Petteri