From: Andrew John Hughes <gnu_andrew@××××××××××.org>
To: Alon Bar-Lev <alon.barlev@×××××.com>
Cc: Andrew Cowie <andrew@×××××××××××××××××××.com>, gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] icedtea6 bootstrap
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 22:01:02
1 2008/9/17 Alon Bar-Lev <alon.barlev@×××××.com>:
2 > On 9/17/08, Andrew John Hughes <gnu_andrew@××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 >> First of all, there is no need to go to such lengths removing gcj afterwards.
4 >> It's not going to hurt to leave it on.
5 >
6 > It takes a lot of resources (disk, time rebuilding, unused components).
7 > So there is a reason to keep system as small as possible.
10 Err.. time rebuilding is part of the reason _not_ to remove it.
11 Applications like ecj benefit from being natively compiled by gcj in
12 my experience.
13 There is a gcj USE flag in Gentoo for this purpose.
14
15 You're probably talking about ~150mb vs. a long re-build time. I'd take the
16 150mb and potential future use, especially with today's hard disc sizes.
17 gcc still takes a while to build even on new machines.
18
19 >> Also, the build depends on jdk >= 1.5 already, so CACAO or JamVM would
20 >> do the job fine. But you'd have similar bootstrap issues, because these
21 >> require GNU Classpath and that requires ecj, etc.
22 >
23 > So gcj is the best alternative. But what happens if gcc stops
24 > providing this in favor of OpenJDK?
27 Not likely anytime in the near future.
28
29 >> Building a Java environment can be a nightmare to be honest :)
30 >> I guess the only non-GCJ way would be to use Jikes, then an older Classpath
31 >> to get ecj working, then build the new ones.
32 >
33 > I guess I am asking that icedtea6 does not have such boostrap in package...
34
35 That's pretty much impossible, unless you plan to write a compiler that can
36 cope with 1.5 bytecode in either C or C++, and then alter the OpenJDK
37 build system to use it :)
38
39 Basically you need to be able to build the OpenJDK langtools (written in Java
40 with 1.5 constructs), then run them (which needs a 1.5-capable Java VM). Or
41 some equivalent.
42
43 > If it does not provide this, users should have a simple way to
44 > bootstrap it in Gentoo... Providing a simple script is sufficient.
47 Then feel free to write one as I said.
48
49 > Thanks,
50 > Alon.
56 Andrew :-)
57
58 Support Free Java!
59 Contribute to GNU Classpath and the OpenJDK
60 http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath
61 http://openjdk.java.net
62
63 PGP Key: 94EFD9D8 (http://subkeys.pgp.net)
64 Fingerprint: F8EF F1EA 401E 2E60 15FA 7927 142C 2591 94EF D9D8