From: Karl Trygve Kalleberg <karltk@g.o>
To: Gentoo Java <gentoo-java@l.g.o>
Cc: java@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-java] Package freeze
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 04:36:13
1 Hi gang,
2
3 we're freezing the Java package set in the Portage tree, effective
4 immediately. This means that no new Java packages will go into the tree
5 unless they fix security issues.
6
7 This is done to "flush our pipeline" before the upcoming 1.5 migration.
8 During the freeze, we intent do stabilize as many of the unstable
9 (~arch) packages as necessary, and wipe the rest.
10
11 This will allow us to move a new generation of 1.5-aware packages into
12 ~arch, and this will finally lead to complete support for 1.3, 1.4 and
13 1.5 (plus 1.6 when it's released) on Gentoo.
14
15 It is difficult to predict exactly how long the freeze will last, but
16 expect at least six weeks.
17
18 Further information will be available on how to help test the 1.5
19 migration overlay. Broader testing helps us get through this as quickly
20 and painlessly as possible.
23 Cheers,
24
25 -- Karl T