From: Karl Trygve Kalleberg <karltk@g.o>
To: Gentoo Java <gentoo-java@l.g.o>
Cc: java@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-java] Package freeze
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 04:36:13
Hi gang,

we're freezing the Java package set in the Portage tree, effective
immediately. This means that no new Java packages will go into the tree
unless they fix security issues.

This is done to "flush our pipeline" before the upcoming 1.5 migration.
During the freeze, we intent do stabilize as many of the unstable
(~arch) packages as necessary, and wipe the rest.

This will allow us to move a new generation of 1.5-aware packages into
~arch, and this will finally lead to complete support for 1.3, 1.4 and
1.5 (plus 1.6 when it's released) on Gentoo.

It is difficult to predict exactly how long the freeze will last, but
expect at least six weeks.

Further information will be available on how to help test the 1.5
migration overlay. Broader testing helps us get through this as quickly
and painlessly as possible.

-- Karl T
gentoo-java@g.o mailing list

Subject Author