From: Krzysiek Pawlik <nelchael@g.o>
To: Gentoo Java <gentoo-java@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Deprecating JDK 1.4
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 17:59:57
Petteri Räty wrote:
>> * change eclasses that have >?=virtual/jdk-1.4.* (java-gnome and >> php4_4-sapi) > > java-gnome eclass is not used by anything so just best to make that one > die and you will want to check with the php people if that eclass is > needed any more either
>> * rev bump every package with >?=virtual/jdk-1.4.*: >> * if package has soft dependency on 1.4 (>=1.4) - raise it to 1.4 - >> that's the easy case >> * if package has hard dependency on 1.4 (=1.4) - try to compile >> with 1.5, eventually patch it to work >> * if package refuses to compile/work with >1.4 - package.mask, >> slate for removal > > Yeah just check for reverse deps.
Sure - that's the important (and time consuming) part.
>> * get all rev bumped packages stabilized (if package has stable >> version in corresponding SLOT) >> * remove old versions of touched packages >> * remove java5 use flag >> * start dropping generation 1 from the tree: >> * make old eclasses a stub - so unmerge works > > I would just leave a dying version because of all the ebuilds around.
Possible too, but not in unmerge code path - better to keep unmerge working.
>> * remove generation 1 bits from JDK ebuilds >> * package.mask java-config-1* >> * remove virtual/jdk-1.4.1 > > There's also a couple of other things to do with our tools so please > talk with me before doing this step.
Sure. -- Krzysiek Pawlik <nelchael at> key id: 0xBC555551 desktop-misc, java, apache, ppc, vim, kernel, python...

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-java] Deprecating JDK 1.4 "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>