From: "Jörg Schaible" <joerg.schaible@×××.de>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-java] Re: Is JDK 1.3 still used?
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 16:21:21
1 Hi Karl,
2
3 Karl Trygve Kalleberg wrote:
4
5 > Hi gang,
6 >
7 > as you may know, we're working on the migration to Java 1.5, much thanks
8 > to all the hard work done by Thomas Mathijs (of axxo-overlay fame).
9 >
10 > The migration brings about something of a spring cleaning, too. We'd
11 > like to remove packages that are not in use and cause more harm than good.
12 >
13 > One candidate for removal are the 1.3 JDKs on x86. We are aware that 1.3
14 > JDKs may still be the latest and greatest on some platforms, they seem
15 > very much out of vogue on x86.
16 >
17 > Does anybody still need/use the 1.3 JDK on x86?
18
19 Yes. For some libs it is still important to be 1.3 compatible and Gentoo
20 offers a nice way to have multiple jdk versions installed - including 1.3.x
21 versions, so I can switch as necessary to take care of compatibility issues.
22
23 - Jörg
26 gentoo-java@g.o mailing list