From: Joshua Nichols <nichoj@g.o>
To: Gentoo Java <gentoo-java@l.g.o>
Cc: java@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Package freeze
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 14:14:12
1 Karl Trygve Kalleberg wrote:
2 > Hi gang,
3 >
4 > we're freezing the Java package set in the Portage tree, effective
5 > immediately. This means that no new Java packages will go into the tree
6 > unless they fix security issues.
7 >
8 > This is done to "flush our pipeline" before the upcoming 1.5 migration.
9 > During the freeze, we intent do stabilize as many of the unstable
10 > (~arch) packages as necessary, and wipe the rest.
11 >
12 > This will allow us to move a new generation of 1.5-aware packages into
13 > ~arch, and this will finally lead to complete support for 1.3, 1.4 and
14 > 1.5 (plus 1.6 when it's released) on Gentoo.
15 >
16 > It is difficult to predict exactly how long the freeze will last, but
17 > expect at least six weeks.
18 >
19 > Further information will be available on how to help test the 1.5
20 > migration overlay. Broader testing helps us get through this as quickly
21 > and painlessly as possible.
24 > Cheers,
25 >
26 > -- Karl T
27 >
28 Just to clarify slightly... This freeze also includes version and
29 revision bumps for existing packages, not just the adding of new packages.
30
31 - Josh
32 --
33 gentoo-java@g.o mailing list