From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-java] DevJam braindump
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 18:59:22
1 Last weekend I attended DevJam. See these two links:
2 http://java.debian.net/index.php/DevJam
3 http://www.skolelinux.de/wiki/FreeJava/Meeting050923
4
5 Here follows some of my thoughts. Not everything here but will write
6 more later for example.
7
8 Classpath:
9 Core things are there but many libraries still need a lot of work or
10 just have stub implementations. But people are working on it and it
11 improves all the time.
12
13 Vm:
14 There seem to be quite a few of these. Many interesting things going on
15 and I learned about a new one called CACAO. Of course it was nice to
16 meet Dalibor Topic in real life.
17
18 To native:
19 Fedora compiles everything to native and the big applications work for
20 them. Of course you need a patched 4. something to get the best results
21 so this is not something that will go mainstream Gentoo any time soon.
22 Andrew Haley, the upstream gcj maintainer from RedHat, said that libgcj
23 can be released separately in the future after they get the interface
24 defined. At the moment the interface is still in too big of a flux for
25 the stuff to be separated. I have unmasked the newest gcc release in
26 portage and play with it to see how it works. I think we can get a nice
27 speed boost with it while still using the non-free core libraries to
28 have all the needed implementations. Of course Classpath should become
29 our number one core library in the future.
30
31 My presentation:
32 People seemed to find it useful and interesting.
33 You can find the slides here:
34 http://dev.gentoo.org/~betelgeuse/show.pdf
35
36 Other:
37 There were representations about how Debian packages stuff. I think our
38 system is better. At least the Debian thing did seem more compicated.
39 And I met a lot of nice people. I will certainly attend these things
40 more often if at all possible. Dalibor Topic told a lot about the way
41 the java world runs (JCP) and that was very interesting to listen to. Of
42 course it was in general very nice to meet other developers.
43
44 Regards,
45 Petteri Räty (Betelgeuse)