From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] binary virtual machines and use flags / dependencies (X, alsa, odbc)
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 16:45:45
1 Joshua Nichols wrote:
2 > William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
3 >> On Thu, 2006-04-06 at 21:04 -0500, Joshua Nichols wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> I don't think either of these are particular ideal. I think it would
6 >>> slightly better to depend on the things that the libraries needed.
7 >>>
8 >> Well I am not sure that would work or be ideal. A few reasons. One if
9 >> someone was on a server and so not using alsa, extra stuff is pulled in.
10 >> Now one could say big deal.
11 >>
12 >> However two, if we installed all deps by default that would also include
13 >> X. Which is a very large app, many deps, takes forever to compile even
14 >> on fast hardware.
15 >>
16 >> Now some time back when I was using JGenerator (a servlet) via Tomcat it
17 >> had deps on X. I can't recall what happened, I do not believe it was
18 >> anything catatstrophic. At the same time it was not the greatest either,
19 >> logs were created and JGenerator would not work till I installed X.
20 >>
21 >> Granted both these scenarios are more server related than desktop.
22 >> However it's cases where the extra stuff would not be wanted across the
23 >> board. Much less have to package.provide stuff etc?
24 >>
25 >> Unfortunately I think use flag is best, and yes it creates broken
26 >> symbols and etc for missing stuff. Not sure what to say, but it's murky
27 >> waters, and I am not sure there is any elegant, or ideal way to go about
28 >> it? Will keep the thinking cap on about it though.
31 > For now, I think I agree that the use flag just for dependencies is the
32 > best route to take. We currently do this to an extent, but just need to
33 > make sure it is applied to all the appropriate VMs
36 IMHO the best course of action is to use use flags and delete the shared
37 libraries if the use flag is turned off. I just never go to finishing
38 the work I started. Many people use java on server machines and as such
39 don't want anything X installed.
40
41 Regards,
42 Petteri