From: Wiktor Wandachowicz <siryes@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-java] Re: sun-jdk on AMD64
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 15:31:50
1 David Emmett <daisy@...> writes:
2
3 > !!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "=dev-java/sun-jdk-1.4.2.10-r2" have been
4 > masked. [snip]
5 > Now according to the Gentoo Handbook, this means that the sun-jdk has not been
6 > tested (sufficiently) on the amd64 architecture.
7
8 Well, it potentially might make a bit of mess on your system, if you're not
9 careful. For Java 1.4.2 and 64-bit Blackdown JDK indeed is mostly a good
10 choice. Especially if you set it as a default system VM for now.
11
12 > Can I unmask this package, install it,
13
14 Yup. It works! See here:
15 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-416912.html
16
17 Keep in mind, though, that the above procedure is not supported (officially)
18 and you get an 32-bit JDK this way. However, that is exactly what needs to be
19 done for using 32-bit sun-jdk-1.4.2 with 32-bit firefox-bin on amd64.
20 Disclaimer: WORKSFORME - YMMV.
21
22 > and then report any bugs I find using it on this architecture,
23
24 I don't think you should bother anyone (esp. yourself). Maybe you could
25 post your observations in the aforementioned forum topic instead?
26
27 > or is there any overwhelming reason
28 > why this won't work?
29
30 Once again, don't set it as a default JVM and remerge some 64-bit JDK
31 afterwards. Be careful and it should mostly work. There is in the end
32 a 32-bit (x86) support on the amd64 architecture, isn't it?
33
34 > Thanks for your advice,
35 >
36 > David Emmett