From: Wiktor Wandachowicz <siryes@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-java] Re: sun-jdk on AMD64
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 15:31:50
David Emmett <daisy@...> writes:

> !!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "=dev-java/sun-jdk-" have been > masked. [snip] > Now according to the Gentoo Handbook, this means that the sun-jdk has not been > tested (sufficiently) on the amd64 architecture.
Well, it potentially might make a bit of mess on your system, if you're not careful. For Java 1.4.2 and 64-bit Blackdown JDK indeed is mostly a good choice. Especially if you set it as a default system VM for now.
> Can I unmask this package, install it,
Yup. It works! See here: Keep in mind, though, that the above procedure is not supported (officially) and you get an 32-bit JDK this way. However, that is exactly what needs to be done for using 32-bit sun-jdk-1.4.2 with 32-bit firefox-bin on amd64. Disclaimer: WORKSFORME - YMMV.
> and then report any bugs I find using it on this architecture,
I don't think you should bother anyone (esp. yourself). Maybe you could post your observations in the aforementioned forum topic instead?
> or is there any overwhelming reason > why this won't work?
Once again, don't set it as a default JVM and remerge some 64-bit JDK afterwards. Be careful and it should mostly work. There is in the end a 32-bit (x86) support on the amd64 architecture, isn't it?
You're welcome, Wiktor Wandachowicz -- gentoo-java@g.o mailing list