From: Jochen Maes <sejo@g.o>
To: Stuart Howard <stuart.g.howard@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Startup advice
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 08:37:42
1 Stuart Howard wrote:
2
3 >As you might expect I am running on information overload here ;)
4 >
5 >I have emerged well all the IDE and editors suggested [got to love
6 >portage] and will make the choices when I am beyond hello world time,
7 >I am reading the lecture prepared by Ted lovley work by the way
8 >starts at my level :]
9 >
10 >Anyway my supplemental request is book choice and a mailing list to
11 >watch for entry/mid level discussions?
12 >[gentoo-user has taught me more about linux/gentoo than any of the
13 >books I have read]
14 >
15 >I see that from Amazon "The Java Tutorial: A Short Course on the
16 >Basics (Java S.)" is due for a new release at the end of this month
17 >and seems a likly choice, however there are more books available than
18 >you can shake a stick at to be honest and a tip would be nice.
22 If you really need to learn all from scratch i suggest Bruce Eckels
23 book, thinking in Java, it's free download on the web as he released
24 most of his book for free in pdf format...
25 a simple google should fix you up with it.
26 It will teach you all the basics off OO programming...
27
28 >stu
29 >
30 >ps. All I need to do now is to farm the wife and kids out to a
31 >religious cult and I will have some real time to get started :P