From: Joshua Nichols <nichoj@g.o>
To: "Peter B. West" <lists@××××××.au>
Cc: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Question about Sun-Jdk
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 01:13:41
> So who wants to run a 1.4 JDK? And what, exactly, prevents anything > from being compiled under 1.5? The only thing I can think of is the > user of the newly reserved word 'enum'. Big deal. How long has 1.5 > been around now?
Have you actually tried using a 1.5 JDK to emerge your system? I'm guessing not, because xerces, xalan, and dom4j won't compile with 1.5, and they are pretty critical XML libraries that lots of things use. Actually, there are a number of incompatibilities:
> My perception is that there is only an ideological impediment to going > with 1.5. That is that it will be a long time before the > Stallman-approved JVMs support 1.5. So, the Java herd on Gentoo Stalls > the adoption of 1.5, just to "prove" that 1) you don't need it, and 2) > it's a very bad thing. Or at least it will be until the "free as in > slaves to ideology" crowd get their act together. Thanks for nothing.
Somehow, I must have missed the conspiracy memo.... Seriously though, where the heck did this come from? I think you're seriously overestimating the manpower working on Java support for Gentoo. There are now 10 developers (I'm a recent addition), with 3 currently on leave. Of those 7, most of them have some sort of life outside of Gentoo. With some 300+ packages to maintain with some 200 outstanding bugs, there isn't a lot of time/effort remaining for new and exciting stuff. Plus, it's not like there hasn't been work towards 1.5 support. See the 1.5 metabug: Additionally, Thomas (axxo) has been working on an overlay for the past six months or so to support 1.5, as was previously announced ( He must not have gotten the memo either. So how can one help with supporting 1.5? Testing and provididing feedback on axxo-overlay would be the most useful. There are some details on but I hope to add more details sometime this evening. Regards, Josh -- gentoo-java@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-java] Question about Sun-Jdk "Peter B. West" <lists@××××××.au>