From: Joshua Nichols <joshua.nichols@×××××.com>
To: Rusty Phillips <rustyp@×××××××××.org>
Cc: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] What is the current status of hibernate
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 21:51:10
On 9/30/05, Rusty Phillips <rustyp@×××××××××.org> wrote:
> I just downloaded the java experimental tree and gave emerging hibernate > a shot. Unsuprisingly, it didn't work. There were a few packages that > have no available source files, and a few that I couldn't get to compile > even on their own.
Could you please let me which packages didn't have source, and which ones couldn't compile? Chances are they are things that I am maintaining in experimental. For several things that were used cvs / svn checkouts, I was hosting the files on a server I had access to when I was in school, but have since graduated, and they finally got around to nuking my webspace and account. Hopefully I will be able to find an alternative sometime soon.
> Anyway, I have a few questions about it: > What is the status of getting hibernate working in Gentoo?
I'm using hibernate-2 on a project I'm currently working on. Might want to give the official tree version a shot until I can get all the tarballs back online.
> Is there anyone working on that now?
I haven't been working on it recently. I came up to a stopping point as I mention below. Will probably pick up the torch again once I wrap up some non-Gentoo projects and make some more progress on other Gentoo things, such as finish my developer quizes ;)
> Has anyone using this list gotten it working for themselves?
As I mentioned, works for me. But please do share what packages are giving you problems, and the errors that you are getting.
> Is this "splitting up JBoss" plan still going to go ahead?
The splitting up of JBoss is mostly done. There's only one or two modules left to be packaged, but I kind of came to a stand still. It came down to where one module couldn't find some static utility functions, but I couldn't figure out for the life of me why they couldn't be found because they appeared to be on the classpath. Once those remaining modules are complete, then the last step would be to put them together to resemble a normal JBoss installation. This would involve either: - Use the build.xml, by making all sorts of symlinks to the things it would expect to be around - Put the things together in the ebuild. It would generally be better to use upstream provided method, but the problem is that ant does a lot of copying, and ant isn't know how to handle symlinks. The problem with putting it together ourselves would be making sure it is put together properly, and would be a PITA to maintain.