From: Joshua Nichols <nichoj@g.o>
To: Sebastiaan <sebastia@××××××××××××××.nl>
Cc: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] java.lang.OutOfMemoryError on amd64
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 22:07:00
Whoops... accidentally replied off list much earlier today.

Sebastiaan wrote:
> I have tried to increase the amount of memory java can use by adding > -J-Xms48m to the command (right after configuration, since a second > compilation attempt always works), but without succes. >
-Xms sets the initial memory allocated. You probably want -Xmx, which sets the maximum amount of memory that will be allocated, and you probably want this to be fairly high, or at least more than 48m. If you're going to patch the makefiles, a clean way to do it may be to add like a variable JAVACFLAGS, which we can then set in the ebuild like: use amd64 && JAVACFLAGS="-J-Xmx256m ${JAVACFLAGS}"
> Does anyone have an idea what the problem can be? I am unsure if the > problem lies within VTK or Blackdown. Sun-jdk does not have a 64 bit > version available, so I cannot compare with that. >
I'm pretty sure it's a blackdown on amd64 thing. We do encounter it for a few packages, like net-p2p/azureus. For the record, there is a amd64 version of sun-jdk-1.5 (and 1.6...), but I'm sure at this point I shouldn't have to go into the concerns about using them ;)