From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: Vlastimil Babka <caster@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-java <gentoo-java@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] RFC adding java-experimental to layman list as unsupported
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 19:22:05
1 On Sat, 2007-06-23 at 19:28 +0200, Vlastimil Babka wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > Petteri Räty wrote:
6 > > http://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/java/wiki/March_2007_Summary#Changesinoverlays
7 > >
8 > > But since that every once in a while we get people asking about how to
9 > > use it. We could add it to layman as unsupported so it shows up in
10 > > layman -l but not in layman -L. Should we make it easier to enable the
11 > > broken stuff?
12 >
13 > IMHO no, people that need to ask about how to enable an overlay
14 > shouldn't be using this one :)
15
16 That's not really what we are trying to solve. Trying to make it more
17 accessible for those using it for testing or development.
18
19 svn is just a pain as people get more an more used to Layman. Others
20 like freak132 spent time adding it to layman locally after they did a
21 svn checkout. Seemed like extra effort and a waste of their time. That's
22 where I started to see less reason to keep it hidden.
23
24 It's not about lacking ability. It's about saving developers and
25 contributors time.
26
27 > I would just point them to wiki page that
28 > has the overlay's svn url and description and if they can't figure out,
29 > their problem :)
30
31 Well we should not to make it hard. Again this is not so much to help
32 our users. It's to help out those trying to help out the team. If this
33 were to make it easier for regular users, then yes I would be saying
34 HELL NO ;). But it's not really about or for them. :)
37 William L. Thomson Jr.
38 Gentoo/Java