From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-java] Re: [gentoo-user] java nightmare
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 21:38:51
Jorge Almeida wrote:
> java hates me. > > I already reemerged dev-java/blackdown-jdk, which is the only java > installed, and didn't forget to env-update and source /etc/profile. > Running revdep-rebuild is useless, as a second revdep-rebuild -p will > still give the same error message.
It will always give you the same error message. We should fix this by using the features available in the latest revdep-rebuild. See man revdep-rebuild.
> > And why should something named > /opt/blackdown-jdk- exist? I don't > have the "alsa" USE flag set, for the excelent reason that this is an > office workstation with no sound equipment whatsoever. > Could it be that somehow the ebuild is ignoring this point? > I unset "browserplugin" before emerging, just in case this was pulling > sound support. Still, "mozilla" was set; the emerge says that the former > USE variable is the latter renamed... > > What to do? Can I safely ignore the revdep-rebuild messages?
It exists because blackdown is a binary package that installs every binary in it. The java class libraries provide sound libraries so it naturally needs access to our sound card using alsa. We have not taken the road of removing the native libraries because you never know what breaks when doing that. You can safely ignore the messages as long as you do not try to use the features provided by Regards, Petteri Räty (Betelgeuse)