From: Alon Bar-Lev <alon.barlev@×××××.com>
To: Vlastimil Babka <caster@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Changing virtual/jdk || deps to prefer the latest version first
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 13:18:11
1 On 4/2/07, Vlastimil Babka <caster@g.o> wrote:
2 > > When will we be able to use jdk-1.5 only system?
3 >
4 > When
5 > a) everything is migrated to gen-2
6 > b) everything can build with 1.5(+) (even some gen-2 packages can't...)
7
8 Oh... This is what I know...
9 Just thought you have some kind of time-line, since there should be a
10 small number of generation-1 packages now.
11
12 > > These do work with jdk-1.5 but not yet converted to generation-2.
13 > They are, just not stable yet. Some probably need review before going
14 > stable. Wonder why you run stable with such hack like 1.5 generation-1.
15
16 Since I didn't like what you have done... We discussed this long
17 ago... I like only one jdk to be installed on my system, created patch
18 for every one which does not work... But then you came with the
19 generation-2 build which forces 1.4 to be installed, so I faked 1.5 to
20 be generation-1 and continue to have one jdk on my system.
21
22 But nevermind... All packages listed above are working with 1.5 so
23 please convert them to generation-2.
24
25 I think you should switch into the top-bottom tree scanning selecting
26 popular packages like tomcat and make sure the whole stable tree of
27 dependencies is generation-2 compliant.
28
29 Best Regards,
30 Alon Bar-Lev.
31 --