From: Mark Wielaard <mark@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o, debian-java@××××××××××××.org, fedora-devel-java-list@××××××.com, ubuntu-devel@××××××××××××.com, jpackage-discuss@××××.org
Cc: fosdem@×××××××××××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-java] GNU Classpath hacker room at FOSDEM 2006
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 16:37:45
1 Hi all,
2
3 Like the last couple of years we want to come together with all the
4 projects around GNU Classpath and the various free runtimes, compiler
5 and tool projects to discuss what has happened in the last year in the
6 Free Software community and what the next year will bring us during
7 FOSDEM.
8
9 The 6th edition of FOSDEM (Free and Opensource Software Developers'
10 European Meeting) will take place on February 25+26 2006 in Brussels
11 (Belgium), at the Solbosch Campus of the ULB (Free University of
12 Brussels). FOSDEM is a free and non-commercial event for the community
13 and organized by the community. See http://www.fosdem.org/
14
15 We were thinking of the following setup:
16
17 - Saturday from 13:00 to 17:30 - "End-User talks" presentations to
18 promote what we all build together to a wider audience that might have
19 heard of what we do, but haven't actually seen it in action/put
20 together. We might also want to have a "lightning" hour with lots of
21 quick Demos of applications running on a completely free stack (5 - 10
22 minutes per demo).
23
24 - Sunday from 09:00 to 12:30 - "Developer talks" presentations of things
25 that are in progress and that people want to explain in more depth to
26 get developers of the other projects to join in a share the fun.
27
28 - Sunday from 13:00 to 17:30 - "The Future" hard core interactive
29 technical hacker discussions on how to integrate the projects more and
30 move forward in the next year.
31
32 Arnaud Vandyck, Dalibor Topic, Mark Wielaard, Michael Koch and and Tom
33 Tromey will be our "program committee" this year. If you would like to
34 present something, have an idea for a demo or discussion topic please
35 let us know at fosdem-at-developer.classpath.org Please mention the
36 title, a little abstract, which track and whether you want to do a quick
37 demo, a short 30 min talk or full hour talk (we prefer 30 minute talks
38 to give everybody a chance to present something). Deadline for proposals
39 is December 18, so you have a month to think of something cool. Then we
40 make sure to have some kind of "formal program" at the start of January.
41
42 Examples of presentations and reports from previous years:
43 http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/events/escape_fosdem05.html
44 http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/events/fosdem04.html
45
46 Some ideas for interesting topics:
47 - Free Swing - The Demo!
48 - Your GNU/Linux distro and the free runtimes - package overview.
49 - From 0 to 100 in 15 Minutes: Getting started with GNU Classpath
50 development using Eclipse, JamVM, Mauve, and the ChangeLog plugin!
51 - Integrating with Objectweb through native-(gcj)-JOnAS
52 - Writing OpenOffice.org plugins using a free software stack.
53 - Using GNU Classpath/gcj/kaffe for games
54 - Using free runtimes on Wine and other win32 environments
55 - Embedding GNU Classpath in web browsers and support for JNLP
56 - Security Auditing!
57 - 1.5 language support in GNU Classpath, gcjx and the free runtimes
58 - GNU Classpath/OSGi/J2ME/Library splitting and trimming
59 - Harmony through interfacing.
60 - Beyond JAPI: what is needed to "really finish" GNU Classpath
61 Or, "Beyond Java" -- what we can do when we finish 1.5.
62 Or more generally some kind of presentation about development
63 metrics: bug rates, rates of change in japi/lines of code/tests,
64 email volume, stuff like that.
65 - Debugging, JDWP development efforts.
66 - etc.
67
68 Hope to see you in Brussels on February 25 and 26 2006,
69
70 Arnaud, Dalibor, Mark, Michael and Tom
73 Escape the Java Trap with GNU Classpath!
74 http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/java-trap.html
75
76 Join the community at http://planet.classpath.org/