From: Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldonkin@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo Java <gentoo-java@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Maven from source - version 2.x or 3.x ?
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 14:34:22
1 On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 12:52 PM, Kasun Gajasinghe <kasunbg@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 24 May 2011, at 14:37, Petteri Räty <betelgeuse@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On 05/23/2011 07:52 PM, Kasun Gajasinghe wrote:
4 >>
5 >>>>
6 >>>> maven-bin 2.x support continues to work through the binary package?
7 >>>
8 >>> Yes, we can keep supporting maven-bin 2.x for maven users. Though the
9 >>> packagers of projects based on maven won't be able to use the support
10 >>> for maven 2.x if we start with 3.x.This project's focus is more
11 >>> towards packagers, right?  I think Serkan or people who are more
12 >>> familiar with this can give an exact answer.
13 >>>
14 >>
15 >> So are you discussing which version of Maven to build from source or
16 >> which version to target ebuild infrastructure for? Those two don't
17 >> necessarily need to be the same and your topic implied the former but
18 >> the above talks about the latter.
19 >
20 > Well, mainly this project is inclined towards packagers.
21 > But of course the users are targeted too. Currently, users have the
22 > maven-bin too
23 > which means they have a choice in hand. The problem with Maven 3 is
24 > that some important plugins for users are not
25 > supported yet.
26
27 AIUI the situation is more complex than that
28
29 maven seems to be moving towards requiring specific core versions for
30 builds. some projects i develop require maven 2, some maven 3. i
31 manage this situation with a set of custom scripts and installations
32 independent of gentoo. i expect other developers now work in a similar
33 way. (same goes for jdks.) the gentoo java stuff just gets in my way
34 now for development.
35
36 FWIW one unresolved challenge for linux distributions with the rise of
37 bytecode languages (such as Java) is that compressed bytecodes are not
38 binaries in the usual sense (platform dependent machine executable
39 machine code). i know that it's a hard thing for the linux community
40 to hear but it's about time that the community acknowledged that these
41 languages are now mainstream and stop trying to force them into a
42 inappropriate provisioning model.
43
44 Robert