From: Greg Tassone <greg@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] java, tomcat5, and AMD64
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 07:04:35
1 On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 23:08 -0600, Trenton D. Adams wrote:
2 > Hi guys,
3 >
4 > How stable are java related and tomcat5 related packages on gentoo with
5 > AMD64?
6
7 Due to the lengthy migration project to Java5 along with low staffing,
8 some of the ebuilds have (necessarily) taken a back-seat. I believe
9 this is the case for many of the JEE packages, whether or not your arch
10 is amd64 (as are most of my systems).
11
12 As the other reply indicated, there is a Tomcat ebuild in the
13 migration-overlay which is reportedly working, but I haven't used it
14 myself.
15
16 > Is it safe to unmask them, or should I be installing a 32-bit
17 > version of gentoo on my system?
18
19 I certainly don't think you need to build a 32-bit system. The Java5
20 migration is probably a bigger factor in package availability than your
21 arch, especially for Java packages. Worst-case scenario is to simply
22 download the binaries from Apache and "go outside" of Portage for the
23 time being.
24
25 It really depends on what you are trying to accomplish. What works for
26 a dev system may not be suitable for a production environment, etc. I
27 have binary versions of JBoss running, various versions of Tomcat, and
28 other packages as needed.
29
30 ~ Greg