From: Thomas Matthijs <axxo@g.o>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-java] axxo-overlay: Request for comments/tests/feedback
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 16:21:51
1 Hey,
2
3 I've been working on an overlay, where I'm trying to get things fixed so that
4 1.5 can be unmasked (finally?!) I would like some feedback/comments on _any_
5 part of it.
6 I want to make sure what I'm doing is good, and hasn't got any big holes, or
7 anything like that so that it might one day be merged into the main tree.
8
9 So if there is anything about it you don't like, yell now and I'll see if I can
10 change it. Or anything else you can think of it needs, or it needs to do
11 different .....
12
13 Most important changes are:
14 - merge time vm switching(#86900)
15 - merge time build.xml rewriting (#86903)
16 - my branch of the java-config-ng started by compnerd
17 - Uses symlinks instead of PATH hacks to choose between user/system vm,
18 which is more flexible.
19 - Removal of jikes useflag, you can now easily choose betwean
20 javac/eclipse-ecj/jikes (when the ebuild supports it)
21 - And a variation of other small things
22
23 You can find a list of bugs it fixes here:
24 http://gentooexperimental.org/svn/java/axxo-overlay/README/bugs-this-fixed
25
26 I also updated the user doc
27 http://gentooexperimental.org/svn/java/axxo-overlay/README/docs/java-user.html
28 And made a devel doc/packaging guide/policy
29 http://gentooexperimental.org/svn/java/axxo-overlay/README/docs/java-devel.html
30 (disclaimer I absolutely hate writing docs, I stole most of it)
31
32 I also have a todo file, if you wish to help:
33 http://gentooexperimental.org/svn/java/axxo-overlay/README/todo
34
35 I recommend testing this in a chroot. Although everything should work, and it
36 shouldn't nuke your system.
37 You can find it in svn on gentooexperimental.org
38 http://gentooexperimental.org/svn/java/axxo-overlay/
39 Just checkout it somewhere and stick it in PORTDIR_OVERLAY in /etc/make.conf.
40 Java packages from the main tree not in my overlay with updates for it will no
41 longer work. So watch out for that, I usually try to keep it updated but it can
42 lag behind the main tree.
43 If you allready have jre/jdk's installed you should
44 also remerged them, they should have rev bumps in the overlay, so running
45 emerge -uD world, should do the trick
46
47 Thanks
48 --
49 Thomas Matthijs (axxo, knu)