From: "Petteri R├Ąty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] ideas for packages which use maven to build
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 20:01:35
Greg Tassone wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-12-14 at 19:39 +0100, Karl Trygve Kalleberg wrote: > > Karl, > I'm a little confused by the above statement. Are you agreeing with > Josh, or disagreeing? In other words, are you in favor of the tedium > because it gives the ability to check for hidden dependencies? >
As far as I understood it a global repo enables hidden dependencies, but we can go around this by just populating the repo with broken symlinks. They don't work unless the package is actually installed and as such we don't have broken depencies. Cleaning every java package away and starting from stratch is any way something we developers should do when committing new packages.
> > I agree, although this really is an upstream problem I think. If they > aren't even properly documenting what libraries their application > depends on, I see that as a bigger problem we shouldn't necessarily try > to fix for them. I understand that this does happen in the real world, > however. :-) >
If I gave you a penny everytime upstream has good documentation on their dependencies, you wouldn't get too many. Regards, Petteri